VMware Horizon Community
ddewire
Contributor
Contributor

App Stacks not attaching

Im trying to implement App Volumes but I cant get it to work.  I created and assigned a App Stacks.  When the VM boot, the apps are not there.  The VMs do have the App Volumes agent installed.  The App Volume Manager has system messages that the VMs don't have access to the datastore that the App Stack is on.  Im not seeing anything in the docs about having to grant VMs access any other way then assigning them in the App Volume Manager.  Does the App Stack datastore have to be on the same server as the VM or am I missing something somewhere? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
comahony
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Appstack data-store must be accessible by the hosts where the VMs reside otherwise how can we mount the vmdk?

0 Kudos
ddewire
Contributor
Contributor

the user/password for the host the appstack is on is configured in the App Volumes Manager.  Am I supposed to be granting access some other way?

Correction: a vcenter admin user is configured in the app volumes manager so it should have access to all hosts.

0 Kudos
the1whynotq
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's a shared LUN that you need, if the Host with the VMs on can't see the LUN then AppVolumes can't mount the VMDK on the VMs. Check your architecture again and ensure that the storage is all seen.

0 Kudos
ddewire
Contributor
Contributor

This is only a test environment with 2 hosts.  There is no SAN or VSAN so there is no shared storage, it all local.  I guess I was in the Horizon View mind frame thinking they did have access to each other.  Im in the process of trying to move the volumes over to the same datastore as the VM now.

0 Kudos