VMware Horizon Community
JohnLord
Contributor
Contributor

Blank Icons for attached apps

has anyone found a solution for the blank icon issue of programs in application stacks. I have office 365 in a application and randomly they show up as blank icons in the start menu. Support is completely worthless. They just want to do trial and error over and over and have no idea how to fix it

Horizon 2212

App Vol 2212 Just for Applications ,no writables

DEM 2212 Just for user and computer admx settings

Fslogix 2210 for profile and office containers

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JohnLord
Contributor
Contributor

so support gave this as a work around. I works if i manually run it but it always seems to run to early no matter how i have it run using DEM. 

taskkill /im StartMenuExperienceHost.exe /f

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Considering the same products and versions, I could not reproduce the issue.

However, a couple of questions.

1. Do you see this issue for all users?
    • I have seen this when for some reason the profile is corrupted.
  2. What is the Windows version?
    • Very older editions like Windows 10 1709 we had seen this issue.
  3. Considering the route where you were trying to run a script to fix the issue for icons, were you trying to run it with a triggered task where the trigger is "App Volumes logon time apps delivered"

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
0 Kudos
JohnLord
Contributor
Contributor

yes all users have the issue. I can remove their profile container and it comes right back, so it doesn't seem like a corruption issue.

windows 10 22h2

nothing seems to be 100% fix. This is clearly some app volumes/fslogix issue as far as I can tell.

At this point we have given up on App Volumes and just putting everything possible in the gold image.

Support is completely worthless for this product for anything past the basics

0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi, i have a same issue like you. 

the office icons are blank randomly, but other icons works fine ! 

do you have any advice ? 

thx. tomas 

0 Kudos
JohnLord
Contributor
Contributor

i Gave up and just put office in the gold image. I spent a couple hundred hours and had at least 3 cases with VMware.  Support just doesn't seem to have the depth of knowledge on app volumes any more.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I also prefer to have Office in the golden image, but I do have a customer that is using it in an AppVolume and we don't have issues.

That being said, in DEM, you can use a "Triggered task" that runs when all AppVolumes are loaded and then do a "user environment refresh". Maybe this can help? (jut thinking out loud here)

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have installed Office 365 in gold image, the customer says that after 2-15 mins the ONLY office icons are blank and system cannot find path to the folder. its very strange issue and randomly. 

Tomas.

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@TomKalabis 

The issue here was about Office installed in an AppVolume, that's why I suggested the triggered task.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
JohnLord
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying to do it in the app stack since we have so many old SAP plugins that break almost ever time we update. That way I could do longer term testing after office updates since our normally testing time is only 3 days or so. But i just gave up for now

0 Kudos