VMware Horizon Community
ch4mp10n
Contributor
Contributor

Writable Volumes Breaking Office 365 (Office 2016) Skype for Business Address List Searching & Outlook Presence.

As the title says, "Writable Volumes Breaking Office 365 (Office 2016) Skype for Business Address List Searching & Outlook Presence."

I havent found a solution to this other then disabling the Writable volumes for users, this happens with the following configuraiton:

** OS's Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8 64 bit, Windows 10 64 bit

** App Volumes 2.10

** UEM 2.7

** Latest Office 365 Office 2016 build.

Very frustrating, as Writable volumes is really a must in our floating pool, non persistent environment.

does anyone have a solution?

regards,,

Mike.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was under the impression that Office 365 with 2016 wasn't supported, only 2013. We tested it and had issues where opening attachments from Outlook cause it to crash.

0 Kudos
ch4mp10n
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the same issue exists with Office 2013

0 Kudos
jsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We aren't currently using Skype in our 365 environment, but I will see if I can test somehow.

0 Kudos
dazzy90
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

I have recently experienced similar issue to yourself with Office 2016 32bit and Skype For Business installed in to our master image, and deployed to Linked Clone desktops which are Windows7 64bit.

Our environment:

OS Windows 7 64bit

Office 2016 installed in to the master image (previously 2010 which was removed prior to Office 2016 re-install)

AppVolumes v2.9

UEM v8.5

I discovered, after checking many other avenues(!!), that by disabling my UIA writeable AppVolume assigned to me, Office 2016 with Skype for Business launched correctly!!?

Skype signed me straight in, Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel) all launched correctly with the default settings assigned in the .msp file created in the Office \ Admin folder.Configurations I had set Office up for the 'default user' in the master image also applied.

However! After I re-enabled my Writeable AppVolume and logged back in to a VDI Office was scr3w3d again!

As yet I'm afraid I have no answer to the solution - sorry! Just thought I would share my expereinces with AppVolumes and Office. I have already posted on the community my experiences with MS Visio 2010 and MS Project 2010 as AppVolumes to which no definitive answer has been given by anyone.

@VMware - You need to be offering some guide to your customers here on the way to create these Office applications as AppVolumes and or base image installations!!

It seems your AppVolumes product is too flaky with regards to the MS Office suites.

Mike, Please keep me updated if you manage to get this working.!?

Regards,

Darren

0 Kudos