VMware Cloud Community
Jasonlqs
Contributor
Contributor

Backup exec 2010 have problem to restore 2nd drive at file server (around 480GB )

We were using Backup exec 12.5 +VCB to backup our esx 3.5 host and 8 vm servers . it was fine and we can do disk restore and file lever restore without problem . This problem come to use when we upgrade to Backup exec 2010 . the second drive at file server (all fileshares) around 480GB , it can restore whole VM and can be boot up without problem . then problem is you can't find the second drive in my computer although the second vmdk file was restored successfully . if you click disk management at computer management , you will been prompt to configure a new found disk which should be the second drive ,but instead it showing "not allocated " and you will need to format it to use it (all our data on it )

we tried redirection this vm ,nothing works ,but backup with GRT enabled showing fine , and when restore start , Backup exec 2010 will need to stage the second vmdk file (480G) first to disk then mount it , then restore the file we want back to destination . stage works ,then error come as it can't mount this vmdk file .

Finally I tried a 3rd party application called diskgenius can open this vmdk file as drive ,it show this drive is empty with 480GB space available too .but I can using it's tools function to search lost partition then find it in 1st cyclinder , and save it to partition table . then this drive was recognized and all files were able to read and restore it .

we tried different methods with Symantec support and install all hotfix they release , still not work . tried alot methods ,nothing works so far , I believe it's something settings at symantec media server as backup exec 12.5 was able to backup and restore file level for this file server 2nd drive .

we may have to roll back to 12.5 as this 2010 version is not working functionally ,special for this important server restore .

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jasonlqs
Contributor
Contributor

And we upgrade esx from 3.5 to Vsphere 4.1 , still same error . we have 8 servers and all other server was fine with GRT restore ,only this one (2nd drive at file server ,about 480GB size) . Symantec can't fix it and can only ask us to send in our backup tape which is not acceptable by our management . sothings stucks here .

0 Kudos
wesleyh20
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, we have the EXACT same problem with backup exec 2010 and OUR file server. It restores C drive (about 99 gigs) just fine, and it DOES restore the D drive (about 750 gig) but it continues to ask us to iniitialize the disk and format it which, as you know, will delete it! Did you get any reoslution with this?

-Wes

0 Kudos
Jasonlqs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I won't say I found the solution . but some temporary you can do like this

1) clone your file server , and it should be ok to works fine with Backupexec 2010 for about another month ( you can restore it fine ) ,then same problem happen again. you need to clone it again

2) or if you really need some file on driver D ,use "DiskGenius" it can load that large VMDK file , then you do a serach lost partition , it will find one at cylinder 0 , save it . then you will able to see all files at Drive D. you can copy them over then

It's difinitley a Backup 2010 error .We are fine with Backup 12.5

0 Kudos
jasonyandt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jasonlqs,

I had the exact same problem with my SQL server on the weekend and BE doesnt know what the problem is. I have sent them my tape for investigation. I checked out your suggestion for Disk Genius. I clicked Buy now and there are several products listed. Can you tell me the exact product you bought?

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
Jasonlqs
Contributor
Contributor

You don't have to buy , you can try with early version , they have some for free , or some can let bypass the register phase .

They named "diskman" before diskgenius ?

something like that .

0 Kudos
jasonyandt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will do some digging tonight and see if I can get it going. If you want, I will let you what backup exec says when they let me know.

0 Kudos
wesleyh20
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Exec wanted us to install the new R2 version. So far it does work MUCH better. Trying the restore tonight.

Wesley Hayes, MBA | Network Manager

The Institutes: Proven Knowledge. Powerful Results.

720 Providence Road | Suite 100 | Malvern, PA 19355-3433

Phone (610) 644-2100, ext. 7216 | Fax (610) 651-7643

www.TheInstitutes.org

0 Kudos
jasonyandt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Wesley, I hope it works. Hopefully BE will update me on their findings in the next couple days.

0 Kudos
Jasonlqs
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is if you want to restore something before you used R2 , you can't .like my file server .

Of course it work now . After tons of update been put on backupexec 2010

Send from Blackberry .

0 Kudos