VMware Cloud Community
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Backup job will not save its schedule, how to fix??

Added a job to vDR appliance, backing up to different NFS datastore, job will NOT keep its schedule!!

I rebooted the appliance and edited the job a zillion times to no avail, how do I fix this??

I have also tried rebooting vCenter and editing the job schedule ON the vCenter server, also to no avail...

Using the latest 1.2.1 version.
Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

What do you mean the the job will not keep it's schedule. Backup jobs only run once per day. I generally find that if you want a job to start close to a particular time clear the dark blocks up until that time. Since you want to have two jobs for each VM make sure the dark/light blocks don't overlap. There are CPU activity restrictions that can affect times. There are no real schedules. Backup can occur any time other than a cleared block.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After selecting the desired times -- 4-6 am for one backup, this gets saved, then 6-8 am for the other backup, the 2nd backup doesn't get saved, it says 'not scheduled.'

Going back to re-edit, the prevously chosen blue blocks have changed back to gray...doesn't matter what I do for times, 2nd backup's timing is not saved.

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You don't select times. You only block out times you don't want backup to happen. I also wouldn't move them so close. Unless you have a different time schedule for active workloads I would move them back to earlier in the morning. I would start from a default and increase the blocked out time on one further than the other but give them enough un overlapped time to complete.  You also need to account for integrity checks.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’m clicking the 6 and 7 above the days to indicate the backup should occur daily between these hours, this is what’s not being saved.

I tried them an hour apart (e.g. click 4 and 5 for one, 6 and 7 for another), I’ll put them further apart and see what happens, then I get into other timing issues etc., I must review all my backup times. I do understand what a backup window is and that nothing I choose is being saved for whatever reason.

We have many backups going on during the 0100 to 0400 time frame and these are small VMs which don’t take a lot of time…

Can’t do more with this till the weekend tho…

Thank you…

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Not about when to run them but only when they shouldn't run. This isn't something that is scheduled. Do not think of the blocks of time as run now. You aren't looking at a backup window. If these are small then allow them to run in the evening.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Job That Would Not Schedule was fixed thusly:

1. Deleted the job entirely

2. Recreated it with a new name at completely different time frame

3. Renamed to desired name

4. Works properly now ☺

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I am glad you fixed a problem.

Your staggered times may work for now but don't forget what I said about scheduling. If the blocks you have selected do not allow for the backup to complete then the backup stops. It will begin again the following backup window. It is certainly possible that the first job does not complete for some reason and needs to be completed the second day. The second job could kick off and complete. Also note that by default vDR runs 4 simultaneous VM backups. If you have 8 it would kick off 4 and when they completed it would kick off the next 4. I don't know how many VMs you are backing up but given your tiny windows you could have complex out of date issues.

0 Kudos
tlyczko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The jobs are several hours apart, one is at 0400 the other I can't remember if 0800 or 2000 thereabouts, only 4 VMs per job.

However they are indeed quite far apart, not close at all. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Total time for all 4 is < 30 minutes not counting integrity check etc.

3 VMs are < 7GB and 1 VM is 80-some GB...I do monitor them. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thank you, Tom

0 Kudos