VMware Cloud Community
mdisk
Contributor
Contributor

Connect LTO tape drive to esxi4.0

Hello all

I have converted my MS2003 file server to vm on a esxi4.0 hp server

Now I want to connect my old Tandberg 220LTO tape drive to the new esxi server

1. I search the net and the vmware Compatibility Guide to see if my Tandberg 220LTO tape is supported but I couldn't find any reference to tape drive

Will this tape work on my server ?

2. The new server has a hp dat72 tape drive that is connected to ultra 320 scsi pci card

it is recognized and working well on the new vm guest could I use the same scsi cable to connect the second Tandberg 220LTO tape (the hp dat72 will only be use as backup tape)

3. when I will  connect the Tandberg 220LTO tape and boot the exsi server

Will the esxi4.0 recognize my tape automatically or I need to install it on the esxi server ?

Thanks

Mdisk

0 Kudos
3 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

1. I search the net and the vmware Compatibility Guide to see if my Tandberg 220LTO tape is supported but I couldn't find any reference to tape drive

Will this tape work on my server ?

I haven't seen too many people posting with questions on that model drive.  I don't have one either so I don't know for certain.   If it's not listed, then it's probably not officially supported, but I don't recall how many tape drive were listed in the first place, if any.

2. The new server has a hp dat72 tape drive that is connected to ultra 320 scsi pci card

it is recognized and working well on the new vm guest could I use the same scsi cable to connect the second Tandberg 220LTO tape (the hp dat72 will only be use as backup tape)

Since you have a working SCSI tape drive in the virtual machine, you can easily attach your Tandberg to test it.  The biggest hurdle was here, getting a compatible SCSI controller, which you appear to have since the DAT drive works.

3. when I will  connect the Tandberg 220LTO tape and boot the exsi server

Will the esxi4.0 recognize my tape automatically or I need to install it on the esxi server ?

As with the previous answer, since you appear to have a compatible SCSI controller, then you likely will be able to use the Tandberg.  If the Tandberg has a autoloader, then that may or may not work.  But you won't be installing drivers into ESX.  You're going to be preseting the Tandberg to the virtual machine just like you did with the DAT drive (e.g.: virtual machine settings menu.)  So the drivers will go into the guest OS and not ESX.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I doubt that you can use a second drive and certainly not in a second VM. If you need the second drive I would get another controller.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mdisk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying

Unfortunately my SCSI cable was too short to connect both tapes

So I disconnect the hp and connected the Tandberg tape

The esxi recognize the Tandberg tape automatically

I only needed to change the configuration of the guest to use the new scsi tape

And I reinstall inside the guest OS the driver of the tape

Now the Tandberg tape is works grate