VMware Cloud Community
dratz
Contributor
Contributor

NFS on Buffalo Terastation for VDR

I have a Buffalo Terastation that I want to use for VDR backups.

I have enabled NFS on the Buffalo box, enabled a shared folder with NFS, and added the VDR appliance address into the client list. I then login to the VDR appliance and try to mount the NFS as a drive using this command:

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.24:/mnt/array1/vdr /mnt/vdr

but I get this error:

mount: worng fs type, bad option, bad superblock on 192.168.1.24:/mnt/array1/vdr, missing codepage or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

The same mount command does work on a different linux box running Debian. I have tried using Kernel Mode and User Mode. I have updated the Terastation to the latest firmware version.

What do I need to do to mount the NFS onto the VDR appliance?

Doug

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've only had a brief play with vdr decided it was no good and went on to use something else but if you check out http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vmware-data-recovery-administrators-gu... and search it for NFS if suggests that NFS is only supported in a specific configuration. You might have more luck configuring a CIFs/ISCSI share.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
dratz
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm. The documentation says:

NFS shares cannot be mapped directly to the appliance.

Which is exactly what I am trying to do, so maybe this is a no go. - Doug

0 Kudos
dratz
Contributor
Contributor

I have learned that the NFS share has to be mounted to the vSphere Host, then a VMDK created on the VDR backup appliance. In vSphere 4.1 the VMDK is limited to 256 MB (for 1MB block sizes), but apparently that limitation is removed in vSphere 5.0.

I created the VMDK on the VDR but it did not seem to mount, and the VDR did not complete its boot, giving the error mptscsih attempting task abort over and over again.

Any ideas what this error is about?

Doug

0 Kudos
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What size did you create the VMDK? from memory you can have a max of 2 backup destinations with max 1TB for each store.

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
dratz
Contributor
Contributor

I made it 100 GB, well under the 256 GB limit.

0 Kudos
dales123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I take it the NFS share is read/write and not read only?

Kind Regards Dale VCP3+5
0 Kudos
dratz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, read write.

0 Kudos