VMware Cloud Community
howardholton
Contributor
Contributor

Urgent Recovery Help needed - crashed server, no backups

Here is the situation as it is now:

1.  Power outage and upon restart had 1 drive marked bad by the RAID controller (HP).

2.  Replaced the drive only to have the rebuild stop at Interum Rebuild

3.  Opened ticket with HP.  They had me upgrade the firmware of the controller (and everything else)

4.  Rebuild completed, however on reboot I get a "PANIC: Failed to find HD boot partition" message

5.  When I try a rebuild installation with ESX it tells me the partition map is invalid that LILO expects a different geometry than what is presented.

I do not have adequate backups of the VMDK's.  Completely unexcusable, however this is a valuable system and I need the data back.

I have made a forensics image of the logical unit as a VMDK and have that to work with, so as not to damage the original filesystem.

----------------------------

I did boot the recovery disk you provided.  The following is the output from fdisk -l:

Warning: ignoring extra data in partition table 5

Warning: invalid flag 0xb2b2 of partition table 5 will be corrected by w(rite)

Disk /dev/sda: 181.9 GB, 181926743040 bytes

64 heads, 32 cylinders/track, 173498 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk Identifier: 0x87693fa7

Device Boot             Start          End          Blocks               Id    System

/dev/sda1                          5             750        763904               5     Extended

/dev/sda2                      751           4845      4193280               6     FAT16

/dev/sda3                    4846       173499  172701555              fb     VMware VMFS

/dev/sda4 *                        1                 4            4080               5     Extended

/dev/sda5 ?           1463899     2927793 1499027801             b2    Unknown

Partition table entries are not in disk order

-----------------------------

When I try vmfs-fuse:

vmfs-fuse /dev/sda3 /mnt

VMFS FSInfo: invalid magic number 0xb2b2b2b2

VMFS: Unable to read FS Information

Unable to open filesystem

-------------------------------

Please help.

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You should open a support ticket with VMware if this is urgent.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
howardholton
Contributor
Contributor

I have opened a support ticket.  Looking to hedge my bets.  ESX 3.5 is not supported any longer, so they are of limited help.  Very thankful for the help, but it is limited.

0 Kudos