VMware Cloud Community
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDP Replication - password not working in 6.1

I replaced old VDP 6.0.2 instances with the new VDP 6.1.

The actual backups seem to be working correctly, but I had 2 VDP instances replicating to an offsite VDP instance.

I am trying to re-set up the replication (all instances are now on 6.1), but when I try authenticating with the remote instance, I keep getting an error message saying "Authentication failed. Modify destination network settings, username, password, or path and then click "Verify Authentication" to verify authentication again."

I tried both the repluser and root users, where I got the same error.

Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just came across this post: VMware KB: Configuring VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.0.x replication fails with the error: Authen...

I don't think I had 28001 open previously, so this is probably what was causing my issue (and just had the same thing again now)

Hope this helps someone...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would start by logging into CLI on both VDP appliances and confirm you get replies when you ping the other VDP host name.

0 Kudos
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good idea, will try that.

Is there any way to test the repluser login info on an appliance, or test that it can access port 29000 from the CLI?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can test port 29000 using telnet.  I'm not aware of a way to test the repluser in VDP.  The best I can think of is resetting the VDP admin password (which should also reset the repluser account) or creating a multi tenant account.

0 Kudos
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

To follow up -

I can telnet to port 29000, though I don't know what to run to test things further.

Tried both the repluser and root users, and tried re-deploying the target instance multiple times.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you tried resetting the VDP password from the vdp-configure webpage?  It will reset the repluser password.

0 Kudos
ASRIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm convinced that VDP 6.1 has replication issues. I've migrated successfully and all backups work except for replication jobs.  I even setup brand new VDP appliances and the replications still doesn't work.

VDP uses port 28001 for replication and I think it is somehow this port is not working within the appliance.  At this point VDP 6.1 replication does not work.

0 Kudos
RyanJMN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have not shared the same experience you are having that VDP replication doesn't work.  You can test port 28001 using telnet.  If the telnet connection can't be made then its probably a networking issue.  I think it would be unlikely to be a networking issue on the VDP appliance.  Most of the time VDP replication jobs run over a slower network connection than the backups do.  The first replication of a client (seed) will require significant more time or bandwidth then remaining ones. Sometimes VDP doesn't report in the GUI until a job completes.  When jobs take a long time to complete they sometimes don't show up in the GUI like you might expect.  I recommend logging into CLI and run mccli activity show.  There is a good chance the the replication jobs are running but not completing.  You might need more bandwidth or manually seed the first replication.

ASRIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ryan,

You're correct. Its not a network problem. I've narrowed down the problem a little further.

I used the mccli activity show command to get the job ID and I was able to get the log for that particular replication job and it shows an error.

<?xml version="1.0" ?><logdir ack="no" errdesc="Message intended for Client &apos;3d5283a22aae03f208a285d614e44fddebce8278&apos; received incorrectly at agent on <vdp hostname>:(none)(40b6934de29525a4c3259e7d81c6feb67c59b49d) currently registered to &apos;127.0.0.1&apos;" pidnum="1008" targetCid="" browsetimeout="10" maxelems="-1" file="MOD-1443819634808" supportbundle="false" sync="fg" cmd="getworklog" cid="3d5283a22aae03f208a285d614e44fddebce8278" errno="6207" showdebug="false" />

Not sure what it really means, but from what I can tell the VDP appliance isn't picking up its own replication job.

0 Kudos
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, didn't see this earlier - I tried this, without any luck.

Might try deploying another appliance, though I've never had this issue before...

0 Kudos
ytlevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just came across this post: VMware KB: Configuring VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.0.x replication fails with the error: Authen...

I don't think I had 28001 open previously, so this is probably what was causing my issue (and just had the same thing again now)

Hope this helps someone...

0 Kudos