VMware Cloud Community
walker420
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how to expire backup image manually via VDP

hi,

i want to expire the backup image manually after successful backup, anyone konws it?

thanks

walker

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Well, i have to backup VMs now, it will compare the data with those deleted data for deduplication, do you mean this?

Yes. I mean to say it will still use the deleted data for deduplication because deleting in UI is like marking it for delete and is still not deleted in the dedupe destination. As is told you, it will be actually deleted only during black-out window.

Also you need to note that dedupe is not at image level but at block level.

-Suresh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You mean to delete the restore point ?

You can do that by selecting the image in Restore tab and click 'delete'

But note that space reclaim will happen only during black-out window.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
walker420
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your quick response.

there is retention setting in the policy, which determins how long the data is retained. once the time period expires, the data will be deleted.

if i want to delete the data(expires the backup image), i just delete the restore point, is that right?

Maybe the space reclaim operation would not run immediately after deleting the data, so i have a question:

do these data i have deleted have impact to subsequent backup?

thanks

walker

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

if i want to delete the data(expires the backup image), i just delete the restore point, is that right?

yes, you are right.

Not really. Only point to note is, it may run a full backup.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
kevand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will be out of the office on Tuesday 26th March. If your email is urgent please resend it to helpdesk@nsf.org or call +44 1993 885699.

Regards.

Kevan

0 Kudos
walker420
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not really. Only point to note is, it may run a full backup.

I deleted all the resotre points, before the space reclaim is done, these deleted data still exists on the storage media.

Well, i have to backup VMs now, it will compare the data with those deleted data for deduplication, do you mean this?

how to understand your words(not really)?

as my understanding, all subsequent backup data should not compare with those deleted data for deduplication.

thanks

walker

0 Kudos
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes. I mean to say it will still use the deleted data for deduplication because deleting in UI is like marking it for delete and is still not deleted in the dedupe destination. As is told you, it will be actually deleted only during black-out window.

-Suresh
0 Kudos
walker420
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

from walker: just delete in UI, the data still exists on the dedup destination, and do subsequcent backups, we may use those deleted data for deduplication. and later the data is deleted from dedup destination, in this case, does it cause the data loss or something else?

from walker: how i know the dedup is image level or block level?

thanks

walker

0 Kudos