VMware Cloud Community
bblana
Contributor
Contributor

no snapshots possible at one vm

Hi together,

I could not make any snapshots on one of my vm´s. It ist a WIN2008 server with 3 separate iSCSI disks, Two disks 65 and 90 GB are thickprovisioned, and the third 850 GB ist thinprovisioned. I have tried manual, with VDR or with BackupExec 2010 R3, nothing works. If  I´m looking with vmware-cmd there is no old snapshot shown. At all other vms it works fine.

Thanks for your help

Bernd

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You need to add more information about the virtual machine's setup. What do you mean by "3 separate iSCSI disks"? Do you use RDMs or did you create the virtual disks on VMFS datastores which are on iSCSI storage?

What error message do you get when you try to create a snapshot?

Maybe the latest vmware.log from the VM's folder can help.

André

0 Kudos
bblana
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André for the replay,

The error message in VDR is "Failed to create snapshot for bfpdc, error -3941 ( create snapshot failed)", under BE 2010 R3 is  it "the VM ist too busy to create a snapshot.

I created the virtual disks on VMFS datastores which are on iSCSI storage.

I have attached the latest vmware.log

Bernd

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

see below KB article

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1028924

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Would you mind to explain why you have all the files in different folders (even sub-folders) and also set the "workingDir" to another datastore?

I went through the log file and this is very confusing (regarding the different folders). I'm pretty sure cleaning up (deleting/merging) all the snapshots in these folders and then deleting the .ctk (CBT) files will solve the issue.

André

bblana
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ZMR,

I have tried the DNS resolution, it is OK.

Bernd

0 Kudos
bblana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

@  Troy Clavell - I changed the datastore to another with enough space, after that there is the  same problem

@ André - I merged all sub-folders to one folder and removed all .ctk files, after  that there is allways the  same problem.

The error in the VDR reports is "Failed to create snapshot for bfpdc, error -3941 ( create snapshot failed)" and in the v-center recent task window there is the error  "Another task is already in progress"

I don´t no what to do, I have added the newest log file

Bernd

0 Kudos