VMware Cloud Community
glenndm
Contributor
Contributor

offsite backup?

Hi,

I'm currently using the esxi 5 free edition on a mac mini.

This little device has replaced a hulking big and noisy server with significantl increased performance.

So I'm very Smiley Happy.

Only the backup side is causing me anxiety. I'm considering buying the full esxi license if only to allow for VM backup possibilities.

At the moment, the only possibility I found, is stopping a VM and exporting it to an OVF Template - which is manual and takes too long.

But, on the other hand, all the backups method I found for the commercial license, do not seem to leave the Esxi datastore, storing their backupsets on a vmfs datastore. This locks that backupset again to the esxi computer.

I strive to have daily onsite and offsite backupsets  - stored on onsite disks; online backup and removable disks. Those last are rotated offsite on a daily basis.

Should the esxi computer be lost (fire,theft, meteorstrike Smiley Happy ), I'm sure to have recent restore possibilties.

What (semi)automatic methods exist to take VM backups that allow for removable disks?

regards

glenn

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Backup & Recovery

Without the vStorage APIs for Data Protection available in a licensed edition, you will be looking at a scripted or other manual solutions. With those APIs, you could use any number (some even free) backup solutions that would allow you to save the backups to varying locations.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
LennieDH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could have a look at Ghetto VCB scripts which allow to perform backups with free ESXi version.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

Regards,

Paolo

If you find this information useful please mark it as "Helpful" or "Correct".
glenndm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the replies and the link to the scripts.

Those should be sufficient.

glenn

0 Kudos
jeremyb
Contributor
Contributor

Glenn,

Also take a look at Thinware vBackup (www.vbackup.com). It allows you to schedule backups of virtual machines running on ESXi free.

0 Kudos
DataJunkie
Contributor
Contributor

The most value priced automatic method for VM backups that I know of is from Zetta.net. The performance is very fast in our environment and gives me the "no-touch" daily VM backups I was looking for.

0 Kudos
VMSpotlight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should take a look at PHD Virtual as option to back up to any in or offsite target.

PHD's upcoming CloudHook release also allows you to send offsite backups to the cloud as an easier option conpared to managing removable media because you can just schedule it and let it run from there. You can also recover directly from it as well.

I would however point out that if you want to backup to the cloud you will need to be prepared to have the backup process use a fair chunk of bandwidth during run time. So that will need to be taken into consideration!

If you want to know more feel free to DM me! Smiley Wink

Currently working with several VMware and Microsoft vendors!!
0 Kudos