VMware Edu & Cert Community
bjonson974
Contributor
Contributor

Transition from VCP-NV to VCP-DCV: What Should I Expect?

Hello,

I've been VCP-NV certified and devOps certified for the past two years and have mainly focused on network virtualization aspects of VMware solutions. Recently, due to a shift in my professional role, I'm finding myself more aligned with data center virtualization.

• For those who have transitioned from VCP-NV to VCP-DCV, what major differences did you notice in terms of content and exam difficulty?
  • Are there specific resources you'd recommend, given my background in NV, to help bridge the knowledge gap effectively?
  • Do real-world experiences with NV provide any advantages or insights when pursuing the DCV certification?

Thank you!

Regards
Ben Jonson
3 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's a very specific career trajectory. I hold a VCP-DCV, but I didn't come from an NV background like you, so take this for what it's worth... I found the VCP-DCV training and exam to be pretty straight-forward. Having worked with NSX-T in production environments, my opinion is that if you've managed the network side of a vSphere environment, then the data center side should look very familiar and be a better transition than the other way around. It's easier, at least from my experience, to work with DC infrastructure than network infrastructure. One thing you might want to brush up on is some of the CLI management tools, like PowerCLI and the ESXi shell (for example, the esxtop utility). Also, be sure to learn the different storage protocols. Hope this helps!

ZawMyint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you already have experience with NSX, it is easy for you to transition, I think. You just need to learn about iSCSI, FC, HA, FT, vMotion, DRS, Snapshot, and so on.

Best Regards,
Zaw Myint

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Look through the exam guide for the exam for DCV and work out what knowledge gaps you have.

https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv-8-exam.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos