VMware Cloud Community
HossamL01
Contributor
Contributor

Import VM with Windows installed on AWS

Hi everyone!

My question is: if I import a VM, originally on-prem (with windows installed as OS) on AWS, do I need to buy a new Windows license for the VM or the one I already had is good? And is it the same for CAL (Client Access License) licenses?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lousie11
Contributor
Contributor

When you import a VM with Windows installed on AWS, you generally need to provide your own Windows license. AWS doesn't typically include the Windows license as part of the VM import process. So, you would need to have a valid Windows license that allows you to run Windows on AWS.

Regarding the Client Access License (CAL) licenses, it's important to note that CALs are typically associated with Windows Server rather than the Windows client operating systems like Windows 10. If your VM is running a Windows Server edition, you may need to ensure that you have the appropriate CALs for the number of users or devices that will be accessing the server's services. I had faced license issue once when i was working with moodle installation.

0 Kudos
Bogdan_Ionut
Contributor
Contributor

When you import a Windows VM from on-premises to AWS, the licensing terms for Windows and Client Access Licenses (CALs) might vary depending on the licensing model you previously used and how you plan to run the VM in AWS.

If you had a volume licensing agreement with Microsoft, such as Software Assurance, which allows for mobility of Windows licenses, you might be able to bring your existing Windows licenses to AWS.

AWS provides a "Bring Your Own License" model for certain software, including Windows Server instances. This means if you have valid licenses for Windows Server, you can bring them to AWS and use them on instances that support this model.

0 Kudos