VMware Cloud Community
mahmoudsns
Contributor
Contributor

An error after converting the domain controller server

i converted a physical domain controller server to a virtual machine.  the server operating system that i converted is windows server 2003. after converting it, i couldn't add any user, group or OU etc.. when i try to add a user, this message appears to me "Windows cannot create the object because the Directory Service was unable to allocate a relative identifier" . i still have the physical server. i opened it and tried to add a user and no problem happened. so this problem appeared after conversion.

i want to solve it or convert the physical server to virtual machine again without this kind of errors.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

hot (powered on) converting a DC is not supported, and in most cases causes issues with the AD. The recommended way to move the AD to a virtual machine is to create a new virtual server, promote it to a DC, migrate the FSMO roles, and then demote the physical server.

What I've done in the past - although not officially supported - is to convert a powered off DC using the ColdClone CD (which unfortunately isn't available for download anymore).

You can also find other options on the Internet, like MOA or booting the physical host from a Linux Live CD, make it an iSCSI target, mount the server's disks as RDMs and then migrate/copy the RDMs to virtual disks.

André

mahmoudsns
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Andre

i was looking for a solution on the internet and i found this link. I think it is close to my problem.

Cloned FSMO DC- unable to create objects or register computers!

i converted two domain controllers to be virtual machines and there was a replication between them. so i think that i should check this solution first. if it wont work fine i ll try your way by migrating the FMSO roles after creating virtual machine and promoting it.

0 Kudos