VMware Cloud Community
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bad block on source

When I try to make a P2V with VMware Converter it fails with the message that the source drive has bad blocks. I have run chkdsk.exe on the computer in question and it has "fixed" the problem (no more bad blocks on the volume), but VMware Converter still seems to see the disk as faulty. Is there a way to get around this... or am I f*cked?

0 Kudos
41 Replies
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Another attempt... This time I have tried to "back out" of Sysprep by following this KB...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287506

Unfortunately some of the registry entries in that article doesn't exist on my machine, so this attempt was unsuccessful as well Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now I'm back here again. After some weeks of "holiday" from this case I decided to give it another shot. Now I've made a new copy with VMware Converter 4 and this time I did as some of you suggested earlier in this thread. I created the new machine without any customization at all.

Unfortunately this doesn't help either. This time it is slightly different though since I get a traditional blue screen when I first boot up the machine. But after trying to repair the installation from a Windows XP CD I'm back in the old loop. What puzzles me here is that Sysprep has definitely not been used now, but still I get the message that the configuration file is not unicode.

I just wonder what does VMware Converter really do to my machine?

0 Kudos