VMware Cloud Community
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

Cold Clone CD Not Booting Properly

I'm trying to clone an NT SP6 server with 398 MB of RAM. When booting, it takes a while for the first VMware splash screen to appear. It sits there for a while and then the screen goes black - the splash screen then reappears properly sized. It sits there for a while again and then the server reboots. This pattern repeats over and over - the GUI never loads properly.

I'm assuming this basically means I'm screwed in regards to cold cloning this particular server. I don't guess there is a log file for me to view as the OS never launches - how do I know whats actually going wrong?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try another coldcloneCD or use a ghost CD for the import

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It sounds like a problem with the video drivers. You might be able to use F8 during startup to invoke VGA mode. If the video card is AGP you might want to try adjusting the AGP acceleration settings in the BIOS or try installing a different video card, or using hot clone if possible.

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

The cold clone CD has worked on several test machines. I don't have another cold clone CD but I could burn a new one - not really sure if that would provide much of a change.

In regards to using Ghost, I do not believe that is an option in our case. Unless I'm wrong (please let me know if you know for sure), the conversion tool will only work with Ghost versions 9, 10 and 12. Unfortunately, none of these versions supports NT Server.

With hot cloning not working despite support from VMware and Ghost not being an option, VMware support basically told me that cold cloning is my only available option...which isn't working...which seems to basically mean that I'm screwed.

What sucks is that this server is mission critical with custom applications that are NT dependant that can not be replicated as the software is not available (lost years and years ago apparently).

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

If you don't mind, I'd like to have the VGA suggestion seconded by someone else as well. Are there any records or postings where the cold clone CD only worked on an NT server when in VGA mode? Would be nice if a VMware tech could chime in on this one if possible.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

In regards to using Ghost, I do not believe that is an option in our case. Unless I'm wrong (please let me know if you know for sure), the conversion tool will only work with Ghost versions 9, 10 and 12. Unfortunately, none of these versions supports NT Server.

You don't need to use Ghost, necessarily. You can use ANY disk imaging utility. Then manually create a new virtual machine, boot it using the disk utility's restore disk and restore the image to the virtual hard drive. Then before powering it on, run Converter against that VM and just choose the Reconfigure task, as you've manually done the imaging step.

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't seen reports of that problem myself with the CD. That said.. you're probably starting from pretty old hardware. The Converter disc is based from Server 2003... it stands to reason that the hardware might be so old that it's not supported by this newer OS. What's the hardware specs?

I am a VMware tech, btw. (Hence the VMware icon on my avatar) I also used to support P2V 2.x before Converter was released.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> ... and Ghost not being an option,

Ghost IS an option.

You do not need Converter to change the ghost-image into a VM - you only need Converter to patch the drivers once the VM is created.

So as Rob already mentioned create a ghost image or what ever you prefer of that old machine and restore the image like you do this on real metal;

boot into ghost CD - add network share and restore image to a new blank vmdk.

Then in a second step use Converters "configure-option" against the new VM.

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

I was under the impression that one of the benifits of cold cloning was that is was completely hardware independant? Seems like that is more of a gray area. Yes, this is an old server:

HP Proliant 1850R server

NT Server SP6

2 Intel 398 Mhz processors

392 RAM

Smart-2DH Controller

Smart-2/P Controller

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

Just to make sure we're on the same page - who's Rob? I'm asking because I do not see a Rob in any of the replies and I'm wondering if I am somehow missing useful info. Let me know if there is another thread I should be reading as well.

In regards to your comment, it sounds like you are saying that I can use any version of Ghost that is supported by NT server? Almost sounds like I could use Acronis as well? Its strange that VMware support never relayed this info when we purchased a per incodent case. Its sounding like there may be more flexability here than I was previously told.

In regards to the proces you mentioned, are the specifics of the process or best pratices documented anywhere? It would be nice to use something as a guide as I am in uncharted waters at the moment.

Still would be nice to know why the cold clone CD if failing to get into the GUI phase.

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, the CD is designed to take the running software environment out of the equation. While Windows 2003 supports a broad range of hardware, it doesnt support all possible hardware permutations, especially old hardware may have some issues or no drivers. We supply the PEtool to add additional drivers to the disc to assist with this.

This server uses an ATI RAGE IIC (I think the PCI edition). It's a very old video adapter even for 1999 standards. ATI never shipped a driver for Windows 2003 or even 2000. I'd say adding drivers to the disc is not an option, unless HP supplies drivers somewhere. I checked the Microsoft Windows HCL page and only the Rage 128 shows up (a later model in that family).

No definitive answers here, but it appears there may be an issue with resolutions above 640x480 when pared with the drivers shipped with Windows 2003, which is what is used on the Converter Cold Clone CD. Try booting into VGA mode using F8, if possible.

I found this comment here: http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Windows/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/2004-03/0814.htm...

"> "Kevin" <kevin_krawez@phoenix.com> wrote in message

> news:c1ccd732.0403081415.17b69f16@posting.google.com...

> > I have found that some machines with ATI Rage IIC video cards running

> > Windows 2003 server will BSOD if you change the resolution.

> > Essentially all of my servers running windows 2003 will be stuck in

> > 640x480. Apparently ATI does not support or have any driver for any of

> > their cards for the Windows 2003 operating system."

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Rob is RDPetruska - sorry for the confusion.

Almost sounds like I could use Acronis as well?

Yes - sure you can. Just forget for a while that you are restoring the image into a VM - do it like you are are used to it with real metal.

Still would be nice to know why the cold clone CD if failing to get into the GUI phase.

This can have millions of reasons - really don't waste your time with trying to use the ColdClone CD with this machine.

I use and customize 2k3 based LiveCDs since years and simple have to live with the fact that they don't boot on every machine.

@ XE

Try booting into VGA mode using F8, if possible.

Is this a brand new feature of the ColdClone CD ? - as far as I know PE doesn't have a F8 switch at boot

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, off the top of anyone's head - would anyone know the Ghost or Acronis version that will support NT Server? I'm assuming I could pick up an older version off eBay. And do all versios come with the boot CD option or is this a specific feature that I need to look for? I have not used Ghost since my help desk days and I don't remember using a boot CD...

In regards to hitting F8 - I believe XE is refering to the option where you can choose your VGA mode during boot - this would be well before the boot CD launches (no switches).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When creating a full disk image it does not matter if ghost or acronis supports NT 4. They will create an image no matter what you have on that disk.

If you have old floppy based versions of ghost - no problem as long as your NT 4 server has a floppy drive.

> In regards to hitting F8 - I believe XE is refering to the option where

you can choose your VGA mode during boot - this would be well before

the boot CD launches (no switches).

Sorry - i can't follow this - when booting from a LiveCD there is nothing that happens before launch of the LiveCD.

PE only has the F6 and F5 switch - the F8 is ignored

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
paul_xtravirt
Expert
Expert

You might try injecting the Windows 2000 video driver in to see if that helps using PETOOL : you might get lucky and that may work Smiley Happy -> Win2k_Driver

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding points

If you found this helpful, please consider awarding some points
0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Confirmed.. F8 doesn't work as I suspected. You'll have to use the PEtool to inject the Windows 2000 drivers. (might work, it uses a similar WDM) Nothing else I can suggest to get the Cold Clone CD working except changing hardware or going the third-party imaging route and then running reconfiguration on the restored VM.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

... or simply use a better Cold Clone CD

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
xe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I suppose you haven't used the cold clone CD shipped with P2V 2.0... Smiley Happy This is an improved CD.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

yep - this one is better Smiley Wink

Anyway - if you make one yourself based on BartPE or Winbuilder-LiveXP you have much more control about the drivers and so on.

The regular download of the VMware ColdClone CD does not even allow adjustments of a boot.ini ...

Homegrown is the best Smiley Wink

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
fraunkd
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like my best bet is to try and use Ghost or Acronis to create the image and then restore into a fresh NT VM. Below is the general process I plan to use based in the info in this posting. Please take a look and let me know if you know of addional steps or any specifics that may aid as well:

• Create a Ghost or
    Acronis image of server

• Create a new NT virtual
    machine

• Boot new NT virtual
    machine using the disk utility’s restore disk and restore the Ghost or Acronis
    image to the new virtual machine

• Run VM Converter
    against the VM to patch the drivers

• Done (seems a little vague - would be nice to have some specifics if possible)

0 Kudos