VMware Cloud Community
maui09
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting to Infrastructure Server with ESX 3.0.2

Hi,

can anybody tell me how to convert a machine wich resides on an ESX 3.0.2?

Everytime i want to connect to the Server with the Standalone Converter 4 i got this error after 2 Minutes: "A general system error occurred: Remote server closed connection after 0 response bytes read"

There is no problem connecting with the Infrastructure Client to it.

Thanx for your help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
9 Replies
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Disable the firewall settings

What is VM OS version?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
maui09
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx for your help but i'm really new to this and dont know where i can deactivate the firewall settings nor i know where i have to look for the OS Version Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Which machine you want to convert?

Can you give more details?

Thanks

0 Kudos
maui09
Contributor
Contributor

I want to move a MS Server 2003 Enterprise x86. I will give you more details! What for infos do you need in this case!?

0 Kudos
prakashraj
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Refer http://www.vmware.com/support/converter/doc/releasenotes_conv401.html

Import of standalone VMware sources with a VMDK file greater than 2GB to a hosted destination that resides on a network share that does not support large files, fails

If you select a standalone virtual machine source with VMDK file greater than 2GB and try to convert it to hosted destination residing on a remote network location that does not support large files (for example, Linux SMB or NFS share), the conversion task might fail with one of following error messages:

 Unable to connect to the virtual disk

Remote server closed connection after 0 response bytes read

 An error occurred during an operation on a virtual disk.

If conversion is successful, the following error message related to the VMDK file might appear when you power on the target virtual machine:

Internal Inconsistency errors

Workaround:

1. In the main application window of Converter Standalone, right-click the failed task and select Copy As New...

2. Go to the View/Edit Options page and select Data to Copy.

3. In the Data to Copy pane, select the volumes to copy and click Advanced.

4. On the Target Layout tab, select 2GB Split not pre-allocated or 2GB Split pre-allocated as the target disk type.

5. Click Next to view a summary of the conversion task.

6. On the Ready to Complete page, click Finish to resubmit the task.

Prakash

0 Kudos
maui09
Contributor
Contributor

Thx but how will that help me connecting to the ESX Server? I want to convert a machine that is installed on this host to an VMWare Server 2 location.

I can't convert it because i can't connect to the ESX using the "VMWare Infrastructure virtual machine" as source location.

0 Kudos
maui09
Contributor
Contributor

is someone else able to help me? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
maui09
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody who can tell me some tips and tricks, maybe???

0 Kudos
dwduxbury
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiensing the same issue, If I am ale to fix this I will post my methods

0 Kudos