VMware Cloud Community
philforrest
Contributor
Contributor

Converted machine cannot get DHCP address assigned, native VMs OK

Hello,

I am doing a full up evaluation of ESX, vCenter, VMware View, View Composer, and VMware Converter.

Last week, a full test deployment of a native Windows XP SP3 machine (installed from ISO to the VM) ran perfectly well through the VMware View Client attaching to a non-persistent pool . All aspects worked as designed.

I recently converted a physical machine (from a Dell workstation running XP SP3) to a VM on Virtual Center. The conversion process was uneventful and indicated success. The source physical machine has a static IP. In the configuration for the new machine, I asked for a DHCP assigned address because the View Manager is expecting to assign dynamic VMs DHCP addresses (as in last week's test). I also asked for a new SID to be generated.

The problem I am having is that the new VM created by Converter cannot get a DHCP address from our DHCP server.

When I switch the VM over to static IP, it works perfectly well.

I've tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling VMware Tools.

Other peer VMs that were installed natively (including Ubuntu and XP SP3) can get DHCP addresses from our DHCP server as expected.

On the ESX host, both the successful and failing VMs are listed as attached to the vSwitch0 (VM Network). No VLAN is assigned (as was the case last week).

On the failing converted VM, the Firewall is disabled and there is no anti-virus installed.

I ran Wireshark on both the successful native VM, and the failing VM. I have attached both Wireshark screens to this post.

I never got a DHCPNACK on the failing VM.

Has anyone seen this before?

Also - and this may be out of scope for this board, IF this network has exhausted its supply of IP leases, is it possible to configure vCenter or VMware View Manager to reverse NAT back into a pool of desktops with private 10.x.x.x addreses?

Thanks,

Phil Forrest

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
philforrest
Contributor
Contributor

Just a followup, we have a highly silo'd network environment here.

I found out from our DHCP guy that my vlan was really tight on addresses.

After flushing several, the converted machine was given an address without issue.

I'm going to assume the absence of a DHCPNACK signal is attributable to our network config.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Kudos