VMware Cloud Community
SCPhil
Contributor
Contributor

Converter Woes

I started trying to convert my laptop xpsp2 three days ago. After many failures, I was able to get a mostly complete import (97%). The prime difference from my previous attempts was that I allowed the 2G files.

Upon examining the logs of the 97% failed attempt, I observed that the import appeared to be complete, however it failed because the vstor failure at what appeared to be the very end. I had seen this error several times before but much earlier in the process.

At this point I attempted to configure the machine. It very quickly failed due to vstor. One the suggestions in the literature was to reinstall the Converter (I had done this before, but with nothing to lose, I repeated the delete and re-installed the converter). This worked! -- I was able to configure this import.

At this point I copied the entire folder to my iMac an attempted to vm using fusion.

This appeared to go well, I started with my XP windows initial screen, however, I failed -- quick flash and safe mode screen appeared. I booted into safe mode. This appeared to work (many installs), however, VMTools would not install (permissions). Other than running in safe mode, the vm certainly does not work as it fails on startup. I am not sure whether this is because my initial import truly failed, I configured incorrectly, or I am just a dummy!

I am attempting another import, however, I clearly need help.

Any advice as to my problems (not all my problems, my wife is working on many of those, just my converter problems) or recommendations as to the source of advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
lholling
Expert
Expert

Hi There

I would try the Converter process again (make sure that you are using Converter v3.0.2). This time I would make an image of your XP machine using Ghost or Acronis and then use Converter to import the image file that Ghost or Acronis creates.

Leonard...

-

Don't forget if the answers help, award points

---- Don't forget if the answers help, award points
0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

a failure at 97% simply means it completed cloning the machine but had issues with reconfiguring the machine to work in a virtualized environment. encapsulating this machine in an image like ghost or acronis will not alter the results.

be sure that you are at the latest and greatest converter 3.0.2

be sure you do not have any vendor specific software installed such as HP or DELL specifics.

if you could include the vmware-converter-#.log file, it may show why it failed.

To do so, simply open up your VMware Converter 3.0 application and choose

File --> Export Logs

0 Kudos
SCPhil
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry that I have been slow to respond to this post. I spent a great deal of

time over the TD holidays seeking to resolve this issue because my notebook

was failing (broken keyboard, failing fans, overheating, etc) and I knew

that I was going to have a very busy week and weekend.

That having been said, after I posted this message I continued to seek to

resolve the issue. I found a support e-mail that suggested deleting,

cleaning and re-installing the converter software.

I had previously re-installed (repaired really) to confirm that I was using

3.02 as desired. I therefore uninstalled the converter. Restarted my

machine, confirmed that all converter items gone and re-installed from

scratch.

I then used the 2G blocks (this had seemed to work best) and imported my

notebook. This works with no failures!

The configuration, however, although it works, prints four identical

messages that state "One of the files containing the system's registry data

had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The Recovery was

successful."

Now, by way of background, one of the messages that I responded to with the

initial problem told me to be sure my registry was not corrupt. I therefore

ran a registry cleaner that resolved 440 "issues".

Since the configuration was "successful" I attempted to use this vm of my

xpsp2 with Fusion on my new iMac.

It starts up, however fails with "BAD_POOL_CALLER". I have retried original

build, reverted to the registry with 440 issues, etc, etc. however I am now

able to get a convert (after 4+ hours -- I have 50 gb in the notebook to

convert), but I can not get past this problem.

I had tried many issues to eliminate my initial problem (eg, uninstall

Norton, stop processes, etc.).

I am using the "offending" notebook as we speak, and everything appears to

be working correctly here. I can boot the converted file into safe mode and

everything appears to be there, but the in the clear file does not work with

Fusion.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should try to see if the resulting image works without error under Workstation or VM-Server (not fusion) to determine if there is in fact an error in conversion. This may be your better option as the only path to Fusion is the Importer which is currently in a beta state.

FYI: Converter can not directly convert to Fusion platform. This was something I was unaware of in my previous response so I apologize for the lateness in this information.

The Beta 1 build number for Fusion "Importer" is 62806.

Any customers reporting issues with the Importer beta should be directed to the Fusion Forum.

0 Kudos