VMware Cloud Community
cnusskern
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converting - Best Practices

What is the best practice in converting a physical server into a virtual server? I have installed the ESXi server and have installed the VMware Converter on the physical server that I want to convert. I want to migrate the server and then turn off the physical server, what is the best way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The best way to virtualize an AD server is to create a new DC and sync all the data first, then transfer the roles to the new virtual DC. Then demote the original DC.

Definatley dont hot clone the DC it is discoraged, you will get all kinds of errors afterwards with tombstone objects. Also the way I suggest there is still no downtime.

As for the exchange server being on your DC I would recommend putting that on a seperate server and installing that from scratch as it is currently on a DC. Obviously this is if licensing permits you to do that.

Andy, VMware Certified Professional (VCP),

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have created some docs I use for converting servers. Maybe this is of use to you?

The best way depends a great deal on what it is you are converting. What it is you are converting?

Pre Conversion Checklist

Conversion Checklist

Removing Old Devices After P2V

Maybe there are of use to you?

Andy Barnes

cnusskern
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Currently there are two physical servers, both are Windows Server 2003, one houses AD/Exchange and the other is an app server. We have purchased a new Dell Server and have installed ESXi on it. The goal is to virtualize the entire network, so that both of the physical server will be hosted by the ESXi server. Later down the road the goal is to setup a DR site with another ESXi server that would house another copy of the production virtual servers so if the primary site goes away we can fall back to the DR site and recover.

0 Kudos
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The best way to virtualize an AD server is to create a new DC and sync all the data first, then transfer the roles to the new virtual DC. Then demote the original DC.

Definatley dont hot clone the DC it is discoraged, you will get all kinds of errors afterwards with tombstone objects. Also the way I suggest there is still no downtime.

As for the exchange server being on your DC I would recommend putting that on a seperate server and installing that from scratch as it is currently on a DC. Obviously this is if licensing permits you to do that.

Andy Barnes

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums, I have moved your post into the dedicated vConverter forum

to answer your questions, the current best practice for AD and Exchange servers is to create new ones, in the case of the DC run DC promo on it and in the case of the Exchange, create a new member server and migrate mailboxes to it

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos