VMware Cloud Community
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converting W2K Server with Customization Issue - HELP!

Hi,

We are running VirtualCenter Update 3 and trying to convert physical servers with customization using the 'Import a machine' scheduled task. The import and customization of Windows 2003 servers works fine. However, I cannot get the process to work for Windows 2000 (SP4) servers. The P2V process works fine but the servers will not auto reboot to invoke the customization in the same way as the Windows 2003 servers do. I have downloaded all the correct sysprep files etc for W2K and W2K3 and placed them in all the correct directories under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\sysprep\ but cannot get the customization to work. Can someone please help as it's driving me mad. There is only 1 Windows 2000 server that reboots into the customization process but stops with a files needed window. The process is looking for a file called c_20127.nls from the server CD and defaults to the following path to find it \sysprep\i386. Like I say, the P2V of Windows 2000 servers works fine if I don't do any customization. If anyone has this working in an environment similar to what I have described, comparing file versions in the \sysprep folder and VMWare product versions would be good to start with.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What happens if you convert with customization, and then clone the new P2V'ed VM and then clone that using VirtualCenter and use the guest customization option with it?

0 Kudos