VMware Cloud Community
kfkernel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converting Windows 2003 Server stops when changing disk

Hi,

Today i have tried to convert a Windows 2003 Server using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.3. It starts fine and copies C and D partition but when it comes to E all operation stops. I can not see any disk activity on the ESX server and job status does not change, first time i let it be for 90-120 minutes. I have tried to look into the exported log files but i am not sure how to interpet the last messages. I have cut out the last lines, first line i think indicates that D partition has finished.

Vmware-converter-worker-1.log see attached file

So i tried to exclude E volume from the conversion. Then after D it continues with O and it stops. No data is being transfered.

I do not change the size of any volumes so the copy is volume based. Have stopped all the SQL services. The thing that makes O and E different from C and D is that C and D are partitions on the first internal disk. E is a partition on the second internal disk. O is a LUN on EMC SAN. My first thought was that powerpath made converter confused, but since E is an internal disk it should not be a multipathing problem.

Target hos is a VMware ESX 4.1 managed by vCenter 4.1, i point out the vCenter server during the conversion wizard.

I cant see why this fails. All thoughts are appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kfkernel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could not figure out the cause of the problem. But i free'd up as much space as possible on all volumes and toll Converter to shrink all volumes, the purpose was to force file level copy instead of volume based. The job finnished successfully with file level copy.

0 Kudos