VMware Cloud Community
stewdrat
Contributor
Contributor

Converting a linux physical machine to a virtual machine to run on vmware server

Hi,

I am trying to use vmware converter to convert a linux physical machine into a virtual machine for use on vmware server 2. All the docs on vmware converter suggest that this is possible.

I am running vmware-converter-client on the linux box itself.

I select 'Convert Machine', and under "Specify Source" I select "Powered-on machine". "A remote machine" is pre selected and "This local machine" is not selectable. This is as per the documentation for converting linux locally.

I enter an ip address other than loopback (127.0.0.1 does not work), and enter the root username and password, and select "Linux" as the "OS Family". (I have enabled ssh on the local Linux installation).

On landing on "Specify Destination" I have no option to select "Destination type" as "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine" is already enabled and it asks me for server details. I assume that this is asking for an ESX or vCenter server which I do not have.

Does anyone have any ideas if I am doing something wrong here?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>On landing on "Specify Destination" I have no option to select "Destination type" as "VMware Infrastructure virtual machine" is already enabled and it asks me for server details. I assume that this is asking for an ESX or vCenter server which I do not have.

This is also correct as per the documentation (user's manual). ESX is the only valid destination for a Linux P2V.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos