VMware Cloud Community
WFinch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a virtual disk.

Well, from an earlier post, I have a windows NT box with one physical drive and two partitions.. I ran converter on both partitions seperately and the C: partition starts up great in vmplayer. Going from a post on . How can I make a virtual disk on the machine to act as D:? Is it possible with player or do I need workstation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your posted VMX states that "PHOTOBOX C.vmk" is a Buslogic SCSI disks and since this is a P2Ved machine the D disk should be a SCSI disk as well.

Don't confuse the hosts hardware with the VMs hardware!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You only have to modify the VMX file and add the second disk there.

If unsure post the VMX file and the name of the disk.

WFinch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As I am not sure what to chance in the vmx file here is the vmx file for the C drive. The D drive is saved as "PHOTOBOX D". Do I need to move the .vmdk file into the same directory as the one for the C: drive?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Move the D drive to the same folder as the C drive and add the following lines to the VMX.

Close WS/Server/whichever product do you use before doing this.

scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:1.fileName = "PHOTOBOX D.vmdk"

WFinch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Now the SCSI devices are an old Nikon coolprint and a tape drive. the HDD is IDE, so I would want to add

ide0:1.present = "TRUE"

ide0:1.fileName = "PHOTOBOX D.vmdk

am I correct with that? or do I want to do is with the scsi command?

EDIT: Ok, I see what it is doing now. Sorry for the stupid question Smiley Wink and thank you for all the help.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your posted VMX states that "PHOTOBOX C.vmk" is a Buslogic SCSI disks and since this is a P2Ved machine the D disk should be a SCSI disk as well.

Don't confuse the hosts hardware with the VMs hardware!

0 Kudos
WFinch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lol, I noticed that after I had posted. New to VM technology so having to learn a couple things. But, wow, VMware is some of the greatest stuff I have seen in a while.

0 Kudos