VMware Cloud Community
VMwareman85
Contributor
Contributor

Failed P2V

Very unusual, performed this P2V yesterday. Kicked it off, it ran for about 4 hours and failed at 97%. Normally this is some type of hardware failure, I re-config and I'm backup, this time nothing happened. Putty d into the datastore and there was no data transfered. Can someone please look at my logs and see if there are any glaring issues.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Do you have USB devices connected to this system?

In any case, please provide more details on the source OS, Hardware, partitioning, and version of P2V converter you are using,

This will help us to find the answer,

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
VMwareman85
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go:

The Source Server: Dell PE 2650, W2K Sp4, Basic Disks, C: - 18GB 😧 73GB, No USB Devices connected

Converter Version 3.0.3 build - 89816

0 Kudos
Ross_Walter
Contributor
Contributor

hi!

we've seen this plenty of times, but it's ok!

We found that if we P2V'd (using VMware Converter) a physical server disk by disk, the 😧 disk (and any disk other than C:) would ALWAYS fail at 97%! the C: system disk would however work fine.

I believe that the issue is that Converter tries to do the VM reconfig on the 😧 disk and can't find the system files and fails, when there's nothing there to do.

We just ignore the 97% failure and complete the P2V process, turning the new VM on and it's all good!

We raised this with VMware about 2 years ago, and they weren't able to find any problem.

I hope this helps?!

Ross.

0 Kudos
aldikan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would also recommend to try new version vConverter 4.0 standalone:

You might have a better luck using new one, it is a free download.

Hope this helps,

Alex

0 Kudos
VMwareman85
Contributor
Contributor

Normally at 97% I would be able to re-config and the system and everything would be fine. In this case the migration went on for 4 hours then failed at 97%. Checked the Datastore directory for vmdk files, but there was nothing there, this is what's baffling me....no data transfer after 4 hours.

0 Kudos