VMware Cloud Community
GD2
Contributor
Contributor

Issue when trying to P2V an old Debian 4

Hello,

I've searched for quite a while on the discussions, however I didn't find a fix for my problem.

My company has an old Debian 4 used for internal subjects, and we will migrate it on a more modern debian 12 one of those days, however during the meantime, we would like to P2V it, so we can make snapshots and so, and we're moving our oldies on our ESXs.

I succeeded to install VMware vCenter Converter Standalone (I tried several versions, from 4.3 to 6.3, with several 5.X in the middle) and I always have the same issue.

The converter is installed on a Windows 10 machine, which can communicate with both the ESXs and the Debian machine.

Our debian machine can communicate with ESXs and it performs well on port 902 as I've seen on this forum.

nc -zv 192.168.X.X 902
192.168.X.X: inverse host lookup failed: Unknown host
(UNKNOWN) [192.168.X.X] 902 (?) open

But we always have the same issues :
Capture d’écran du 2023-10-06 11-29-37.png

Yet, the network connectivity is fine.. all IP's are accessibles, and on 'all ports'.

If anyone has an idea, I take it !

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

sorry can't help with that error message but have you considered the cold clone option?

0 Kudos
GD2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

The cold clone option is not an option for us, this machine has 5478 days uptime.

I don't want to be the one rebooting it !

0 Kudos
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

haven't used this for a while but used to be my backup when I ran into issues with VMware Converter

V2V Converter / P2V Converter - Converting VM Formats (starwindsoftware.com)

0 Kudos
GD2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ! I'm taking a look at this solution !

0 Kudos