VMware Cloud Community
AdminTGal81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating a Virtual Machine as a Physical machine

Here is my situation....

I had a VM on a Virtual Infrastructure environment. I wanted to migrate that VM to a different ESX environment. Well the source environment is maintained by our IT department and they did not want to help us or give us any access to their environment. Now we did have local admin access to the VM so we decided to migrate the VM as if it were a Physical machine (selecting physical machine in the coverter drop down and installing the agent on the source VM and uninstalling when complete) to bypass the interaction with IT. The VM migrated pefectly fine and seems to be working very well. My question is, is there any potential problems migrating a VM in this manner (drivers, hardware, etc.)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your only issue is the IT department :smileygrin:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Not quite seeing whether you did a v2v or v2p. If the former then you should be ok, particularly if it appears to be running fine. If v2p, you'll find some notes here:

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
AdminTGal81
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are a performing a V2V (VMware to VMware) but when we run the converter we select Physical Computer for the source. I'm just concerned if there might be any underlying issues that may not have cropped up yet.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your only issue is the IT department :smileygrin:

0 Kudos