VMware Cloud Community
xabierus
Contributor
Contributor

No ip response on source physical server

Hi all,

I'm trying to turn in virtual machine a ibm server with o.s. linux. Boot from the cd of converter, set the ip

address (dhcp or manually) and boot well. But once started I see all my net but it doesn't answer to ping request. When I throw the process of virtualización gives a

mistake at the beginning of disc cloning. I believe that is because my serer ESX does not receive response of

his ip. Someone can say to me to that if

it's normal that does not answer in the net?

Thank you very much.

Some messages from log:

Opening file xxxxx (vpxa-nfc://xxxxx:902!52 bd b6 ca 8b 16 6e 6c-a6 13 7e b4 31 1b 72 ec)

DISKLIB-LINK : Opened 'vpxa-nfc://xxxxxx:902!52 bd b6 ca 8b 16 6e 6c-a6 13 7e b4 31 1b 72 ec' (0x2): custom, 71096320 sectors / 33.9 GB.

DISKLIB-LIB : Opened "vpxa-nfc://xxxxxxx:902!52 bd b6 ca 8b 16 6e 6c-a6 13 7e b4 31 1b 72 ec" (flags 0x2).

Copying 71096320 sectors from sector 0 to sector 0.

NfcNetTcpRead: timed out waiting for data

NfcFssrvrRecv: failed with code = 9

NfcFssrvr_DiskIo: failed to receive io reply

DISKLIB-LIB : RWv failed ioId: #1 (290) (34) .

DiskLib_Write failed to sector 0 of vpxa-nfc://xxxxxxxx:902!52 bd b6 ca 8b 16 6e 6c-a6 13 7e b4 31 1b 72 ec with error NBD_ERR_GENERIC.

NfcFssrvr_Close: received unexpected message 23 from server

BlockLevelCloning::task: Image processing task has failed with MethodFault::Exception: sysimage.fault.DiskLibConnectionFault BlockLevelCloning::task: SetState to error

Remote task BlockLevelCloning::task completed Got an update from CloneTask::task Waiting for updates from BlockLevelCloning::task

Waiting for updates from CloneTask::task Got an update from BlockLevelCloning::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from CloneTask::task

Cleaning up remote task BlockLevelCloning::task Disposing task wrapper for task BlockLevelCloning::task

object explicitly disposed: BlockLevelCloning::task BlockLevelCloning::task being destroyed

CloneTask::task step "Cloning into disk xxxxxxx.vmdk" failed

Reporting image processing task failure for task BlockLevelCloning::task

ImageProcessingTask FAILED. Fault name: sysimage.fault.DiskLibConnectionFault

Cloning failed!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you check if you can telnet to port 902 on your ESX from the linux machine (not booting from Boot CD)? BTW you can also try converter 4.0 beta (free). It lets you do a hot clone of linux systems.

xabierus
Contributor
Contributor

I do a telnet to esx server on port 902 and works, i try telnet to virtual center server on port 443 and works too.

Now i got beta versión and fails hot cloning, but now in log says this:

Getting VIM connection to 192.168.1.196...

Reusing existing VIM connection to 192.168.1.196

Converter Task GetEvent(taskID=task-1)

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 599 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 598 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 597 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 596 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 595 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 594 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 593 times ...

unable to get IP address from GuestInfo, will retry 592 times ...

and finally fail. In converter server message says "waiting to VM Helper connection"

I forget to say that my source linux machine have lan 192.168.90.x , virtual center 192.168.1.x and esx server 192.168.254.x . But all the servers can reach others. I have a firewall but telnet check works so i think isn't a port problem.

0 Kudos
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi xabierus,

You would probably have better luck posting 4.0 beta related problems to the 4.0 beta forum. I will update the post if I can think of possible problems...right now I am not sure of what it could be. It seems like connectivity issues to your ESX, but like you said your telnet works.

0 Kudos
xabierus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

finally i could convert vm. Problem was on lan, i put server on 254 net as esx server and works fine.

Thx for ur help.

0 Kudos