VMware Cloud Community
JPad
Contributor
Contributor

P2V conversion on DC

I have read the best practices guide for converting DCs. I see that the guide does not recommend it. I do see where some say they don't ever have a issue converting DCs. I am looking for some real world feedback.

I have 2 DCs. One of which is the "backup DC" I would like to convert first. It also has several other roles along with hosting a bunch of different shares etc... I am trying to avoid having to re-setup all the other roles, services, and permissions outside of the DC role. 

What are your thoughts on me demoting the DC, converting it to a VM, and then promoting it to the DC role following the conversion?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fbonez
Expert
Expert

Hi,

What are your thoughts on me demoting the DC, converting it to a VM, and then promoting it to the DC role following the conversion?

yes you can do that.

Otherwise, you can create a fresh new VM, with DC role. Demote the first one and then P2V

-- If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". | @fbonez | www.thevirtualway.it
0 Kudos
Gooose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JPad,

My advice would be to not P2V the Domain Controller.  Just build a fresh Virtual machine and then promote it to a DC. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

P2Ving domain controller is a very bad idea. Create new VM with Windows, raise it to additional DC, transfer all roles and remove old DC from AD

For more information :

What happens when things go bad during P2V of DC ?

• First of You might get problems, but no event log entries – aarrggh try and detect that!
  • If a Domain Controller replicates data after being cloned, it will acknowledge what information it has replicated to the other Domain Controllers. In effect they know what the cloned Domain Controller knows. If the Cloned machine is then turned on, with older information, the other Domain Controllers will refuse to give it the information – after all they know it has allready gotten it! This will create a missing gap of information potentially creating big problems. It is usually refered to as USN Rollback and is a common symptom of a Hot Clone or a Domain Controller that was cloned but the original got Turned On after the cloning. More info here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875495/
  • If a Domain Controller detects disk signature changes, it will put it self in isolation and refuse replication. Basicly it has detected it has been copied and to avoid replicating wrong information to others it isolates it self. It still keeps on running and serving users, but since it can not replicate, it does not replicate important information like password changes, machine information, etc.
  • Microsoft does not support cloning of Domain Controllers – your on your own
  • VMware does not support cloning of Domain Controllers – your still on your own

Additional to above

VMware have more pain and death information about cloning an existing domain controller here http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006996

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos