VMware Cloud Community
flciot
Contributor
Contributor

Question from a newbie: convert machine

Hi all,

I am pretty new to virtualization and I would like to ask if it is possible to convert a physical machine from disk1 to disk2, same computer.

This is my scenario: it's my notebook at work (winxp prof), and I would like to convert it. I can start it using an external disk via the eSata port, with win7.

In this configuration, I see disk C: with win7, disk E: is winxp, the one I would like to convert (disk 😧 is the dvd).

I just downloaded and installed vmware vcentral converter standalone on win7. I am running it with: Convert Machine - This Local Machine but as soon as I am checking the details, I see both drives to convert, while I would just choose one (E:) and convert it into the other (C:).

Is it possible to make such an operation?

Thanks a lot for any help and support.

Ciao

flavio

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

they way in which you are using converter is not what it is meant for.  You cannot combine physical drives of a physical computer. However, if you are converterting to a VM, yes this is possible.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the communities - What VMware product are you running as your virtualization platform? Workstation, Sevrer or Player? Are you trying to create a VM from the raw XP disk? If you are I am notsure this possible - with converter you can convert a remote machine that is running or the ost machine -  check out http://www.vmware.com/pdf/convsa_43_guide.pdf on how to use converter -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
flciot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Troy,

Well, yes I want to convert disk E: to a VM, destination would be drive C:.

If this is possible, how can I get it?

Thank you for your help.

Bye,

Flavio

0 Kudos
flciot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Weinstein5,

Thank you for the welcome.

Yes, I would like to create a VM from the raw XP disk, destination on the other disk.

I will check the user guide.

Thank you!

Bye,

Flavio

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I just tested this, and it's not possible.  You cannot combine data from one partition into the other.  Your best best is to convert the machine, then extend the C: drive after the conversion, and copy the E: Data into the C: drive and then delete the HDD for E:

0 Kudos