VMware Cloud Community
evanderv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Transfer Physical Ubuntu server with VMWARE Converter

Hi I am trying to transfer an already built ubuntu 8.04 server over to VMWare ESX server with the bootable coverter cd. When I use the wizard everything is fine untill I get the datastore part and I get an unknown error. I transfer the logs so that I can view them but can't make anything out about the logs. Is this even possible to do or is there something I am missing.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You might want to give the Converter 4.0 BETA a try.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Your discussion has been moved to the VMware Converter forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You might want to give the Converter 4.0 BETA a try.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
evanderv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I just happened to read this as I got your response. Going to go download it.

0 Kudos
evanderv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmroyale, I have it installed and running but when I try to convert my ubuntu 8.04 server I get an error when it trys to communicate to it remotely. The error is A general system error occured. Not initialized. converter.info.Storageinfo storage.volume.diskid pops up. Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
evanderv
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nevermind, I figured it out. Looking at my server logs it was showing I/O errors on the floppy drive. I disabled it, rebooted and got past the error. THe converter is now in the process of converting. The next step is to see how well the hardware configures with the VM Server. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos