VMware Cloud Community
cmariotti
Contributor
Contributor

Using Converter to do automated backups

I have a client that is using VMWare Server and a couple of VMWare Workstations on Windows.

He has three offices, each office with only a handful of computers.

He wants to backup each computer, so that he can get the machine running without much interruption.

I have been using VMWare Converter (windows version) to periodically backup some servers I have to VM's in case of emergency. Is there a way to automate it to run nightly, or are there any free options that would allow this on a live machine? Does the Linux version allow this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

He really doesn't want to spend a dime on backup. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a way to automate it to run nightly ...

p2vtool is provided, but I haven't used it in that much detail.

free options that would allow this on a live machine?

The free version can only run against a live machine, since you would need to purchase a license to have the VMware Cold Clone CD.

Does the Linux version allow this?

There is no such thing as a 'linux version'. Linux is experimentally supported, and can sometimes be converted using the Cold Clone CD ... but that requires a license.

He really doesn't want to spend a dime on backup. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I wouldn't consider VMware Converter a backup solution. It's purpose is to create a vm once, and then the VM is managed on ESX or VMware Server etc.

If you know the Virtual Machines are powered off, they can be backed up using any decent piece of backup software. ESX has a backup module VCB, which helps there ... but not with Server or Workstation.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I started with writing a guide on how to do scheduled cold clones with Converter starter edition but nobody other than me has tried it as far as I know ...

http://sanbarrow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1200

Warning - advanced stuff Smiley Wink

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos