VMware Cloud Community
mrbugs
Contributor
Contributor

Using vCenter Standalone 6.4 to convert Server 2016 to vmWare Fusion instance on a ext USB drive

I have a 2016 Win Server that I need to virtualize to run on Mac Pro OS via vmWare Fusion 11.5.7.  My question is regarding the saved file of local Win 2016 Server.  I'm planning on saving the Converter file to an external USB NTFS drive E. that is connected to the Win 2016 server.

So I will convert "this local machine" as the source and then select the "destination external drive (E.)"  and then let it do it's thing.

My question is, do I exclude that drive E for the "saved or converted Win 2016 server" properties?  So that the saved instance doesn't include drive E in the "saved/converted" file that will be used on the Mac Pro?

My intent is to then move that USB drive to the Mac Pro and create a custom virtual machine in Fusion "importing" the saved vdmx file from the previous "Converter Standalone task" on the Win 2016 Server.

Any help or suggestions (or just hints/tricks) to keep me out of trouble will be appreciated.   Thanks much, Bugs

0 Kudos
1 Reply
plamen_d
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello

Yes, the USB E: drive should be excluded from conversion. Otherwise, surely, there will a recursive copying resulting in eating up all the space. However, external drives are usually excluded automatically from conversion. To be in the safe side, you may check that in the 'disks-and-volumes' tab in conversion wizard's 'options' page.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos