VMware Cloud Community
ruud00000
Contributor
Contributor

VHD not supported?

I want to convert a Server 2008 Hyper-V .VHD file to a VMWare Server 2 virtual machine. I installed Converter standalone 4.0.1 but .VHD files are not in the listof 'all supported sources' files that can be converted (in the backup and third party vm's section)? How should I do this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

WinImage will do it.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

First of all a VHD is the equivalent to a VMDK, it's just the hard disk. I think MS previously called the configuration file a VMC.

However, we do not currently support a Hyper-V VHD file directly. You must power up the VHD/VMC files, and they treat the source as physical by IP Address.

This should let you convert the system.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

another option is Starwind Converter

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

check in the Converter the type "Other".

last week I vovetred an XP machien from Virtual PC to my vcenter an it worked perfectly.

But doning that I uninstalled the virtalpc tools from this machine!!

Good luck!!

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos