VMware Cloud Community
MTH201110141
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Converter Standalone v4.3.0 - Error 29163

I've recently moved over to VMWare Player and used VMWare Converter Standalone v4.3.0 to convert my old VMs. Once all the VMs were converted I uninstalled VMWare Converter Standalone from the host..

I now find I need to convert one additional VM, but when I attempt to reinstall VMWare Converter Standalone I get the following error:

Error 29163. Could not copy file C:\DOCUME~1\<User>\LOCALS~1\Temp\converter-agent.xml

Where <User> represents my userid.

Things I've checked include:

• I'm an admin on the host
  • I've rebooted the host (Windows XP SP3)
  • There's plenty of disk space
  • I've cleared out the folder including hiden files
  • Searched VMWare forums and the internet for anything similar

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

22 Replies
mercerc1
Contributor
Contributor

SOLVED!!  ...for me at least, the problem was something strange going on with Windows UAC. I was logged in as a standard user and right clicking on the ".msi" file and choosing "Run as Administrator", but kept getting the error,

"Error 29163.Could not copy file C:\Users\CLARK~1.MER\AppData\Local\Temp\converter-client.xml."

I had tried uninstalling anti-malware (MalwareBytes) and disabling all McAfee anti-virus software, but the problem was still happening.  I had even tried to run a PowerShell prompt as my administrator and ran the msi from there with the same error.

I should also mention that I had problems running the downloaded executable file "VMware-converter-en-6.0.0-2716716.exe".  It would extract, but then msiexec would not like something and the install never started, so I had to get the "VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.msi" file from "C:\ProgramData\VMware\Installer\" and was running that when this problem occurred.

...Finally I decided to do a Windows "switch user".  I logged into Windows with my administrator account and was able to run the msi file without any errors!  The installed worked and the installed program runs while logged in with my standard user now.  Chalk it up to UAC bugginess.  Hopefully this helps you.

My system: Windows 7 64-bit USGCB government computer.

Program:    "VMware vCenter Converter 6.0.0" (AKA VMware Converter Standalone)

0 Kudos
dodge43
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the installer straight from a usb instead of the host machine after getting the error.

0 Kudos
digfish2
Contributor
Contributor

You just have to launch an elevated shell prompt and from there launch the msi. No need to login with an administrator account.