VMware Cloud Community
Jeorenn
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2K3 conversion fails at 95% here as well

Hi,

I've converted 3 Windows 2K3 servers, of which only one worked. The other two failed at 95% actually crashing the whole server! I'm using the stand alone converter. The crash happens during the reconfiguration part, I believe. A VM is created though, but when I try to launch it, it BSOD's almost instantly.

It would mean a great deal to me if I were able to convert these two machines as wel.... Any tips greatly appreaciated!

Thanks Smiley Happy

J

0 Kudos
5 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you attach logs from "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\logs"?

0 Kudos
Jeorenn
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I can Smiley Happy Hope these are the ones you're looking for.

Cheers,

--

J

0 Kudos
Ashmai
Contributor
Contributor

Did you try the "Configure Machine" option already? Usually if a conversion fails as part of the reconfiguration part, it doesn't destroy the VM from VC but leaves the files there. In this case, you can open Converter, at the top select "Configure Machine" (the VM has to be powered off), point it to the powered off VM, and go through a quick re-configure. If it succeeds, attempt to power the VM back on and see what happens.

Perhaps you already tried this?

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks, Unfortunately I don't see any crash in these logs... Could you restart agent, server and UI and generate new logs with problematic convertion?

Sometimes the problem is in an additional software installed on the OS including drivers for specific hardware, could you verify this?

0 Kudos
Jeorenn
Contributor
Contributor

I probably could, but the conversion ends in actually the whole server crashing (It probably BSOD's and reboots, but I haven't caught it in time, so I'm not sure). It's also sort of a production machine so I need to be a bit cautious. I'll do this over the weekend when I can termporarily shut down more services as well.

I did see the VM files in the ESXi environment, but it wouldn't start succesfully, so I trashed them. Next time I'll keep 'm around and try that as well!

0 Kudos