VMware Cloud Community
marceloy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

converting different disks to different datastores

Hello

I'm planning on P2V a Windows 2k server that has three logical drives. I want to put Drive C in one datastore and drives D and F in a different one. Is this possible using vConverter Standalone 4.0? If so, I'd appreciate some hints.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are C and D on the same physical volume? If so, they must be on the same destination LUN with Converter 4.0.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes this is possible. In Step 3, under Data To Copy,

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
marceloy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried that before posting the question. And I tried again before replying. I can specify the datastore where the VM definition will be, but when I try to select one datastore for C and antoher one for D, only one datastore is avaialble and changes for all the discs.

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe some advanced edit or something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are C and D on the same physical volume? If so, they must be on the same destination LUN with Converter 4.0.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

0 Kudos
polysulfide
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just make sure you select to make one VMDK per partion and you can move the VMDK files to the approprate LUNs through command-line on the back-end.

Just remove the disks from the VM, move them, and re-attach them. Another option is to only P2V the OS disk. Then create empty VMDKs and migrate the data. You would of course need to be careful to disable any services that reference data on the other two disks prior to the p2v.

If it was useful, give me credit

Jason White - VCP

marceloy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that may explain why I can't migrate. All my three logical drives are on the same physical drive.

thanks

0 Kudos
marceloy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will take your suggestion. Thanks

0 Kudos