VMware Horizon Community
PatrickH81
Contributor
Contributor

Error while starting Published Citrix App

Dear all,

When we start a published app on our Citrix Environment some users report the published app is not starting. The published app appears to launch and starts importing profile settings, etc. But after that the session closes and no published app appears.

The Flex.log errors we see:

2016-11-15 09:46:31.405 [FATAL] Importing registry information failed (verification value still has initial data)

2016-11-15 09:46:31.405 [FATAL] Error importing

I searched the error but cannot find any info on that one.... where to search ?

However, if we remove the saved Flex profile settings of the affected user then it works and the published app launches perfectly, but we have to do that everytime.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pim_van_de_Vis

It seems the UEM archive (.ZIP files) cannot be imported.

Could have multiple reasons. Maybe users are not allowed access to reg.exe.

Could also be antivirus that is locking/changing the .ZIP files. If the .ZIP files are edited with 3rd party tools they become unreadable for UEM.

What version of UEM are you using?

Could you share some more information from the UEM debug logfile? Can also be done in a personal message.

0 Kudos
PatrickH81
Contributor
Contributor

I shared 2 files with you:

flex_fail.txt - When the Citrix Published App doesnt start

flex_good.txt - When the Citrix Published App does start

We're still on Immidio Flex v8.5.1.10, i know we have to upgrade. We are not editing the ZIP files manually.

I'm not sure if it's a UEM issue but when the Citrix Published App does not start we remove the whole Windows profile settings which are stored in %HOMEDRIVE%\%USERNAME%\Flex\Windows. And then we launch the Published App again and no problem.

0 Kudos
Pim_van_de_Vis

Hi Patrick,

I analyzed the logfiles and this is what I found:

There is no export (logoff) in the logfiles. So I had to only work with the import information. In the future, please also include a logoff in the logfile.

The GOOD import was ok, but requires optimization because UEM runs for around 60 seconds at logon, which could be just 6 seconds, if not for these three items:

Explorer Settings.zip

Read 1 entry from profile archive (size: 16649256; compressed: 1045389)

Did you use the UEM template, or did you add some locations? I've never seen this grow so big (16MB uncompressed).

Windows Explorer.zip

Read 1 entry from profile archive (size: 16649256; compressed: 1045433)

This is probably a duplicate from the above 'Explorer Settings.zip', since the name and size is almost identical. If so, disable 1 on them to gain a couple more seconds at logon.

Internet Explorer - Personal Settings.zip

Read 3159 entries from profile archive (size: 3271541; compressed: 1025236)

This is the biggest showstopper, because importing this zip file with over 3000 items takes around 30 seconds.

I'll come back to this in the FAIL scenario, because I think this is causing the issues.

In the FAIL logfile I found the Internet Explorer import takes almost 80 seconds, which is a very long time for UEM. (typically an complete UEM logon sequences takes less then 8 seconds)

Internet Explorer - Personal Settings.zip

Read 8139 entries from profile archive (size: 2803818; compressed: 1571417)

You probably have a lot of cookies stored in your profile that could cause this. The solution for this is simple: change the configuration to only capture the cookies that ar not older then xx days. (for instance 30 days, that's what most customers do).

It could also be that you have 8000 bookmarks, in that case I simply recommend to clean those up a little bit Smiley Happy

After this import from Internet Explorer, all other imports fail with this error:

[FATAL] Importing registry information failed (verification value still has initial data)

I'm not sure why, 80 seconds is long, but should not break the import functionality, but somehow is seems to do so.

You could disable the 'Internet Explorer - Personal Settings' UEM configuration file to test if the import works again after this.

To change the configuration and only export the cookies from the last 30 days, makes these two changes:

- select the option 'do not export files older than 30 days' (see screenshot)

- change the UEM GPO and enable the 'retain file modification dates' (see screenshot)

Let me know if that works and solves your issues.

Cheers, Pim.

0 Kudos
PatrickH81
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that importing Internet Explorer - Personal Settings.zip (probably cookies) is indeed the problem. When i disable those settings it works.

But the Internet Explorer - Personal Settings.zip also holds the Favorites, so when we set the option to retain only 30days it will probably remove the Favorites too after 30days....

Any advice on that one ?

-edit-

For now i just run the following cmd on Logon/Logoff which does the trick either...

forfiles /p "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies" /d -31 /c "cmd /c del @path" >nul 2>&1

forfiles /p "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low" /d -31 /c "cmd /c del @path" >nul 2>&1

0 Kudos
Pieter_S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Patrick,

You can exclude the favorites in the Internet Explorer personal settings zip.

Create an extra configuration that holds the <Favorites> folder and you will be done!

In my humple opinion this is the better way to go. When a user messes up his/her Internet explorer settings you can blindly reset their settings and the favorites will allways be saved.

What I usually do is create 3 config files (in case you have a mixed environment with desktops/laptops/VDI/SBC).

- Internet Explorer config (holds the predefined settings where the favorites are excluded) This configuration will contain all IE settings for all computer (Laptops, desktops and VDI included)

- Internet Explorer SBC (This holds the cookies + cookie database for SBC environments. This one does not need to be processed on all other machines with a local profile.)

- Internet Explorer Favorites (contains all favorites. IThe favorites can be roamed to all UEM enabled systems which is convenient to all users)

0 Kudos