VMware Horizon Community
Aderito
Contributor
Contributor

User Environment Manager (Immidio Flex) and IE11 cookies

Hello,

We are currently using FlexProfiles 7.5 along with Folder Redirection in our XenApp 6.5 environment and are planning to upgrade to UEM 8.6.  Before upgrading we are wondering if UEM 8.6 will help with an IE 11 issue we are facing.  This issue did not exist with IE9.

We have the cookies folder redirected through the use of GPP and IE does write to that network location but once the user launches a session to another server, the cookies are not read for that session.  We believe this to be because IE11 uses a webcache folder that contains db files .  Users are forced to login to websites or update customizations they had set.  These folders need to be redirected so that users who launch multiple sessions will not run into issues (import/export through Flex/UEM not a viable option here).

Webcache folder location: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache

Has anyone on here run into this and found a solution?  Opening a support case with MS/VMware as well.

Thanks,

Aderito

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Pim999
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

IE11 changed a lot of things in the way they handle cookies.

Some things can be solved by using VMware UEM, but it's a topic that a lot of customers are having problems with.

Check out this blogpost for a solution that works with VMware UEM.

http://rorydeleur.nl/2015/03/houston-we-got-cookies-with-ie11/

If you want to spoof the profile to be a roaming profile, with UEM this is easy, just enable the 'certificate support for mandatory profiles' option in the GPO. This will do the trick if you have mandatory profiles. If you have local profiles you have to use the solution that is described in the blogpost.

I would recommend to start testing with UEM and see if it solves your question.

Otherwise, please share your findings here so I can have a look.

Pim.

0 Kudos
GoldTop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been looking at this today and adding the Webcache folder to the UEM Internet explorer template (as below) seems to be working OK for me (Windows 7, IE11).  I was not keen on doing this as the cache is 30MB+ in size but it is compressed to virtually nothing in the archive files.  Have not done much testing with it as of yet though.

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<Cookies>

<Favorites>

<LocalAppData>\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache

[ExcludeFiles]

<Favorites>\desktop.ini

<Favorites>\links\desktop.ini