VMware Cloud Community
kac2
Expert
Expert

2008 R2 mouse movements are jumpy. PVSCSI issues also.

I am running ESX 4.0 Update 1 build 208167 and vCenter build 208111.

I am building a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise VM. The OS and VMware Tools get installed without any trouble. When I log into the VM, the mouse movements are very jumpy and not smooth. Jase McCarty pointed me to read KB Article: 1011709 , even though I am running Update 1, and tried removing the driver, but the problem still exists. just wondering if anyone else is seeing it.

I have built the machine with 2 different options. 1 using Bus Logis SAS and the other using PVSCSI. all with 1vCPU and 4GB of RAM and VMXNET3 NIC

When I build the machine with PVSCSI as boot, I mount the floppy .flp and the ISO for Win2k8r2. the install goes just fine when I specify the driver for PVSCSI, but once the install is done and has to reboot for the first time, the VM will hang on reboot with a blinking "_" on the screen, so I have to power off the VM and power it back on. If I remove the floppy .flp before the install reboots, then the machine will reboot and the installation will continue. Once the install has completed, I'm prompted to change the administrator passwor. If I leave the VM alone for a few minutes and come back to it, the VM will be frozen for about 20-30 seconds then I can move my mouse again. This is only experianced with 2008 R2 VM with a PVSCSI boot drive.

All of my other VMs seem to be working fine, but I wanted to start building out some new 2008 R2 VMs and test out PVSCSI as the boot drive.

if anyone else have tested these options, let me know if you are seeing any problems.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
TNStratos201
Contributor
Contributor

Learned something new today, thanks for the tip. I don't remember hearing about this fix during the Install, Configure, Manage class. By no means is that a knock against them.

0 Kudos
PeteLong
Contributor
Contributor

I concur wih kac2 above I've now seen this on 4.0 and 4.1 with Windows Server 2008 R2 - in both cases the problem was cured by updating the Display Driver.

Pete

0 Kudos
ccaltacc
Contributor
Contributor

This workaround just fixed the problem for me too.  I don't get it.  I have installed the latest ESXi 4.1.0 @ latest build 320137 and this issue STILL has not been resolved on VMware's end?  This post is over 1 year old.  What's the deal?

0 Kudos
Threonine
Contributor
Contributor

Is anyone else seeing this mouse driver issue reoccur after running Sysprep with the generalize option?  I just followed your instructions, RobGirard, to update the mouse driver manually and that fixed the post-Sysprep problem for me.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ccaltacc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it does reocurr after a 2008 sysprep/generalize.  After deploying a new VM we have to go in and manually install VMTools and manually update the video driver each time.  Annoying!  We don't have Standard ESXi or vCenter yet (getting that very soon).  Maybe this is an issue with the free ESXi?

0 Kudos