VMware Cloud Community
kp3k
Contributor
Contributor

AMD EPYC nested virtualization Hyper-V

I have an issue with nested virtualization on ESX server with AMD EPYC CPU.

On ESX is running VM with Windows server 2019 with Hyper-V and VM created in Hyper-V gen.2 is not working. Only black screen is showing.

The same configuration on Intel CPU is working fine.

VM gen.1 created on Hyper-V with AMD EPYC CPU is working too, but this VM gen.1 has Legacy boot, while VM gen.2 has UEFI

I've tried also Windows server 2022 but with same result.

Do you have some hint what can I try?

27 Replies
nballfr
Contributor
Contributor

But how about the issue running VMs on top of nested ESXi 8.x with AMD processors?
Thank you

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Please see the blog post

0 Kudos
nballfr
Contributor
Contributor

Could you provide me with a link for the blog post?

FYI, I'm using ESXi 8.0U2 which is still impacted.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry, I just realized what you posted isn't actually related to whats been described here, which is detailed in https://williamlam.com/2023/07/vsphere-8-0-update-1c-resolves-windows-vbs-performance-hyper-v-genera... 

Also, please create a new thread rather than using this which is unrelated to issue you're having

From the looks of the screenshot, it seems your Hyper-V VM doesn't have VHV enabled? Can you please confirm that you're running ESXi on bare-metal? Typically this issue indicates that you're using a non-VMware Hypervisor on bare-metal and then attempting to do Nested Virtualization ... which may have issues as the bare-metal Hypervisor isn't ESXi (which we know woks fine in these scenarios)

0 Kudos
nballfr
Contributor
Contributor

Please note bare-metal Hypervisor is ProxMox 7 or 8.
I would understand if VMs running on top of a nested ESXi 8.x be solely supported on a VMware bare-metal Hypervisor.
But as everything is working great with a nested ESXi 7.x on PM, I was hoping it would also be the case for ESXi 8.x.
Unless there is a technical limitation that could easily be overcame? Would you be able to help?
In which case, I'll create a new thread for that purpose for sure.
Thank you.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

I figured you were NOT using our Hypervisor and this was a 3rd party Hypervisor. Unfourntately, I can't speak to how they implement VHV and whether there's changes that needed on their solution, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help (especially as this is a VMware forum)

My personal recommendation is to use ESXi as the bare-metal Hypervisor, while you can say I'm bias, I have first hand data from thousands and thousands of customers who run our Hypervisor to virtualize other 3rd party Hypervisor because it just works and behaves exactly as they'd expect. I can't say this is the same experience when using other 3rd party Hypervisor, in fact this is how many do extensive testing 🙂 

You also reduce the need for another layer of virtualization for running your Hyper-V VM and you're already using ESXi, so might as well do it the proper way 

0 Kudos
nballfr
Contributor
Contributor

Issue is finally fixed in Proxmox 8.1.x (kernel 6.5.x): VMs can now be created/ran on top of nested ESXi 8.x hypervisors.
Working using PVE Enterprise repository as well as PVE No-Subscription repository.
That's great news!

0 Kudos
lejeczeki
Contributor
Contributor

I get that very message:

Task failed on server: This host supports AMD-V, but the AMD-V implementation is incompatible with VMware ESX.
Installer log files are located at /tmp/vcsaUiInstaller

While trying to deploy vCenter on ESXi (all 8.0U2) on AMD Ryzen Pro 3900 - process fails @ 80%

Virt platform in my case is Redhat's Qemu/KVM.

No VMware for me - I run a test/trial lab for the first time and if there is not a workaround for this that is then the end of the road - no chance I'll get more/different hardware only for trial/tests.

Thus, if there'll ever be a "fix" for it, I'll sure be grateful to learn of it.

many thanks, L.

0 Kudos