VMware Cloud Community
goony83
Contributor
Contributor

Add an USB device in virtual machine

I want to add a USB device to a virtual machine.
I plugged the device into the server().
In the virtual machine settings, when I want to add a device, the USB device menu is grayed out.
FYI, in Host > Manage > Hardware > PCI Devices, there is a grayed out "C620 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller"

NB:
-DELL PowerEdge R440
- vmWare ESXi 8.0.0

PS : sorry if translation is bad, I'm french 

Capture d'écran 2023-11-09 151023.pngCapture d’écran 2023-11-09 151237.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

at first you need to choose teh host in the vCenter and go to the Configure -> Hardware -> PCI Devices and there set the passthrough device that you will add to the VM. And then you can go to the VM Settings as you described and choose the passthrough device what you will add. So you tell the ESXi to which hardware you will give the direct access from the VM and not over the ESXi drivers.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

sorry I give you one way but yes some USB devices aren't seen there. Therefor you need to do it other way but now when I looked at the pictures I see that you try to do it directly in ESXi on host. Its needed to do it over vCenter while in ESXi on host isnt the possibility to add in Settings -> ADD New Device -> HOST USB Device which allow you to add the USB Disk attached on the host.

If you don't have installed vCenter then do it that you can fully use it.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
goony83
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 
vCenter is pretty much expensive, so I can't use it. 
Is this not possible with VMware ESXi ?

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

HI,

I don't know what package have you bought but what I know in all is vCenter integrated.

Look what you have ordered. The cheapest package cost around €500 for 3 hosts and it has integrated the vCenter.

As I have looked in ESXi I don't have found it.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
0 Kudos