VMware Cloud Community
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add vmdk to new VM without losing the shares

Hello everyone, I have a VM with Windows 2003 Server with 2 vmdk, 1 for the Operative System and the other is used as a "File Server", it means that has a lot of shared folders that is used by all the end users in the Company, let´s call them OS.vmsk and Files.vmdk.

The idea is to "upgrade" that server to Windows 2008 Server, so I created a new VM with Windows 2008 Server installed. Now if I add the Files.vmdk to this new VM I am able to see all files and folders and the permissions too but all shared folders appear as "not shared". Is it possible to add this Files.vmdk and keep all the folders, files, permissions and shares too? How can I do it?

I also used the "Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit" but this program copy all the data from 1 HD to another, so I would have to create another vmdk and do the copy and I think it is a waste of time because I already have the Files.vmdk.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi..

Have you tried to export/import the registry key where the shares and permission are set.. ?

More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125996

Don't know if it will work, but seems like an easy one to try out...

/Rubeck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi..

Have you tried to export/import the registry key where the shares and permission are set.. ?

More info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125996

Don't know if it will work, but seems like an easy one to try out...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Rubeck I will try and let you know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JuanDuran
Contributor
Contributor