VMware Cloud Community
SteveBud
Contributor
Contributor

Adding existing ESXi server with VMs to cluster

Hi,

Currently I have an ESXi 4 cluster with two hosts in it. These are brand-new installs in a new cluster and as such they have no VMs attached to them. They are hooked up to both local storage and two LUNs on a Clariion, which is also empty.

I have an existing ESXi 4 server that has been around a while. It has a bunch of VMs on its local storage, and also just got hooked up to these two empty LUNs. I would like to move this host into the new cluster, but I'm nervous about the existing VMs on the local storage. I tested this a little with the new servers but I don't want to wreck anything on this "production" server. Will there be any issue with these VMs when attaching this existing server to the new cluster? Do they need to be powered off?

All 3 of these hosts (the two new ones clustered, and the one standalone) are properly managed in vSphere/vCenter, I just want to move the standalone into the new cluster.

Thank you!

Steve

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

but I'm nervous about the existing VMs on the local storage. I tested this a little with the new servers but I don't want to wreck anything on this "production" server

Where is your thirst for adventure, your sense of learning, the exciting of getting a new product! C'mon man, live a little!

Seriously, it will work. Nothing will happen to the local storage, the only thing that happens when you add an ESX to existing vCenter farm is the ESX is managed by that farm, that's it. You can still manage it separately if you wanted to, but it doesn't modify anything on the ESX host.

It just performs inventory to see what's there, that's all.

MattG
Expert
Expert

The only issue would be if you have DRS enabled on the cluster as this reuqires vMotion compatbility and joining the cluster may not like this if the hosts CPUs are different. Other then that you should be able to add the host in without the VMs having downtime.

You could always test this by taking on of the existing ESXi hosts out of the cluster, add a local VM and then trying to re-add it to the cluster and see what happens.

-MattG

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
SteveBud
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, I understand that perfectly. I manage a good number of hosts in vCenter, but this the first actual cluster we have set up. My question only pertains to moving that existing server into the cluster, not just adding it to vCenter itself.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you should have no problems adding the ESXi Host into the cluster even with running guests. Your guests will continue to run and be unaffected

0 Kudos
SteveBud
Contributor
Contributor

The only issue would be if you have DRS enabled on the cluster as this reuqires vMotion compatbility and joining the cluster may not like this if the hosts CPUs are different. Other then that you should be able to add the host in without the VMs having downtime.

>

They are slightly different Xeon CPUs, but I have already checked their compatibility in KB1003212. EVC is enabled.

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll be taking care of this tonight.

0 Kudos