VMware Cloud Community
langerland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Appropriate vCPU Configuration

Hi Guys,

I am new to VM configurations am currently considering options for VM Deployment.

On a 2 CPU (8 cores on each) physical server (16 Cores in total, 32 with HT), what vCPU configurations are allowed?

i.e. Can I create 8 vCPUs with 4 virtual Cores  on each because of Hyper Threading? Or would the fact that I have just 2 Physical CPU's restrict us?

Also regarding the CPU Hot Add feature, If I create a VM with for example 1 vCPU with 4 virtual cores, can I add additional 4 core vCPUs while the machine is running at a later stage? Also with this feature would it then allow me to continue adding vCPU's untial all 32 cores have been exhausted?

Many Thanks for clarifying these points.

Best Regards

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

On a 2 CPU (8 cores on each) physical server (16 Cores in total, 32 with HT)...

Without HT you will have 16 LCPUs,  and with HT you will have 32 LCPUs

when you create VM, you will be able to add upto (with HT)32 vCPU with a single VM in any combinations, like 8 virtual sockets and 4 cores per socket or 4 virtual sockets and 8 cores per socket or ... etc

Regarding hot plug CPU, as long as guest within VM is happy, enable that feature and make use of it.

Please refer VM Admin Guide/Resource Mgmt Guide etc which can be downloaded from following URL

VMware vSphere Documentation

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

On a 2 CPU (8 cores on each) physical server (16 Cores in total, 32 with HT)...

Without HT you will have 16 LCPUs,  and with HT you will have 32 LCPUs

when you create VM, you will be able to add upto (with HT)32 vCPU with a single VM in any combinations, like 8 virtual sockets and 4 cores per socket or 4 virtual sockets and 8 cores per socket or ... etc

Regarding hot plug CPU, as long as guest within VM is happy, enable that feature and make use of it.

Please refer VM Admin Guide/Resource Mgmt Guide etc which can be downloaded from following URL

VMware vSphere Documentation

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos