VMware Cloud Community
Gaudet
Contributor
Contributor

Can't add second usb drive in my VMs

Hi, I have a standard HP server with Esxi 5.1 with multiple VMs. I have 2 usb disks (they are the same). 1 is mapped on my virtual sbs, the second is mapped on my vcenter server. One day I saw that the usb on vcenter was not showing and from that day we are unable to see it. We have tried to;

Reboot the vcenter server

Reboot the Esxi server

Changed the power wire on the usb drive

Change the usb port used

Tried the disk on a workstation; working fine

I have no problem with the other disk mapped on the sbs. If I go in the properties of the vcenter server, I don't see the usb drive in my peripherals. If I try to delete the usb adaptor, I have an error saying (translated from french); cannot finish operation because of a concurrent modification by another operation

If I try to add the usb drive, I have the option to add it so the server sees it. I choose my drive, click on next. When done, still in the properties of the VM in the hardware tab, it shows as disconnected. After that in the vsphere client running on vcenter server, I have the same message as stated above which is;

cannot finish operation because of a concurrent modification by another operation

If I return in the hardware tab of my vcenter vm, the usb disk is not there.

Any ideas what I could do?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

I think in this case you need to power OFF the VM and then you need to delete the affected USB controller.

Once this done you can add the new controller and then add the USB.

VMware Workstation Documentation Center

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos