VMware Cloud Community
imezra2013
Contributor
Contributor

Can we run hardware prefetch without Entering Maintenance mode?

Hi,

I just want to understand regarding hardware precheck when updating ESXI patches.

I encounter a Hardware error when patching ESXI host.

"shutdown all VM" > "Enter ESXI host to Maintenance mode" > "Apply the patch (via esxcli)"

Then a hardware error prompts "Hardware Error Hardware precheck of profile  . . . .  " I fully understand if there is hardware compatibility issue, depending on error we can remediated it to continue the patch else we abort the patching.

To avoid un-necessary downtime for our VM's, I want to know if there is a way to run "Hardware precheck" before shutting down and "entering to maintenance mode"? Or is it possible to enter the ESXi host to maintenance mode while the VM are powered on and run the patch?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have DRS, then the VM's will live migrate without shutting down. Are you licensed and have DRS configured? If not, then no, you cannot go into maintenance mode without shutting down the VM's. 

0 Kudos
imezra2013
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Im aware about the feature of DRS, unfortunately I have only stand alone hosts.

Any how, so there is no chance to do a hardware pre-check, before applying "Maintenance Mode"?

0 Kudos
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In your configuration I do not believe so. I know in a cluster environment it will typically evacuate the host, put it in maintenance mode, perform the check, then vacate it. Probably has to do with limiting any interruption in a VM processes during the check. 

0 Kudos