VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Command for updating esxi 5.1 to 5.1 update 2 via SSH

Could someone send me the command to update ESXi 5.1 to 5.1U2? (assuming I've already downloaded and copied the update to the host)

I know it's something like esxcli software profile install -d [something, something, etc..] but I think I've got the syntax wrong.

Thx!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomjacobchirayi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware KB:     Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line  

1. Download the update and upload it to any Datastore that is available to the ESXi host
  2. Login to the ESXi host via SSH
  3. Put the ESXi host to maintenance mode.

# vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter

4. Navigate to the directory on the datastore where the patch file was uploaded to and verify that the file exists:

# cd /vmfs/volumes/Datastore/DirectoryName
# ls

Verify that you can see the file you have downloaded. I assume that the file which you have downloaded is in zip format. In that case,

5. # esxcli software vib install -d "/vmfs/volumes/Datastore/DirectoryName/PatchName.zip"

More options are there in VMware KB. Please refer that as well.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tomjacobchirayi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware KB:     Installing patches on an ESXi 5.x host from the command line  

1. Download the update and upload it to any Datastore that is available to the ESXi host
  2. Login to the ESXi host via SSH
  3. Put the ESXi host to maintenance mode.

# vim-cmd hostsvc/maintenance_mode_enter

4. Navigate to the directory on the datastore where the patch file was uploaded to and verify that the file exists:

# cd /vmfs/volumes/Datastore/DirectoryName
# ls

Verify that you can see the file you have downloaded. I assume that the file which you have downloaded is in zip format. In that case,

5. # esxcli software vib install -d "/vmfs/volumes/Datastore/DirectoryName/PatchName.zip"

More options are there in VMware KB. Please refer that as well.

Cheers.

0 Kudos