VMware Cloud Community
5c0rch
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring Networking for iSCSI and Management Network segregation

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time on the Forum so I hope I've posted to the correct location.

I'm relatively new to virtualization and am presently experimenting with ESXi 4.0.

My main query in this instance is how to configure and set up the network vSwitches correctly.

I've spend considerable time searching the forum and reading various papers on best practices but

can't seem to hit on the answers I'm looking for. It's probably something really simple & obvious

so my apologies if I'm being really DIM!!!

Anyway, here goes...

From what I've read recently, if enough pNICs are available on the sever best practice is to create seperate vSwitches

and segregate the various networks e.g. Management, iSCSI, VMotion, VMs etc..

Taking this into consideration, my question is...

If the management & iSCSI networks are independant of each other and on different vSwitches

how does the iSCSI network communicate with the VMKernel to authenticate and find targets?

The only way I've managed to connect to a VMFS LUN hosted on a StoreVault S500 via software iSCSI

is by creating the Management port group on the same vSwitch as the iSCSI port group.

If I seperate the management & iSCSI network and create the port groups on seperate vSwitches I can no longer connect

to the LUN as the VMKernel doesnt see it.

I just don't get where the connection is made so iSCSI can communicate with the Kernel

Where am I going wrong?

Just to clarify...

My server has six pNICs equally distributed between management, iSCSI & VM networks...

vSwitch0 - 2 pNIC's for Management

vSwitch1 - 2 pNIC's for iSCSI (Which I intend to multipath)

vSwitch - 2 pNIC's for VMs

I have seperate Management, VMs & iSCSI physical networks but am using the same IP subnet.

Not using VMotion

Hope to hear from everyone, someone.... ANYONE!! Smiley Happy

Cheers!!

5c0rch

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies